Tool question-PC Sander

My Porter Cable model 333 five inch random orbit sander stopped random orbiting. It only spins at high speed now. Something msut have broke. I took it apart and can't find the culprit. Any ideas? I found a parts diagram and parts source on the web, but I don't know what to replace.

SteveC1280 wrote:

Bet it's the "brake" strap. This is a plastic strap that slows down the spindle a bit so the speed won't run away as you lift the sander from the surface. You can see this part through the lower vent holes.
-Bruce
On 19 May 2004 21:51:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comremove (SteveC1280) wrote:

Bruce is right about the part. I have a good tool repair place nearby (Daytona Beach, FL area) that has them in stock. I bought a couple against the next time it breaks. Not very expensive (although more than you would think for a little piece of plastic), and easy to replace.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Belt #37 in the PC parts diagram probably broke or slipped off pulley #37B.
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/portercable/333
It's also possible that pulley #37B is loose and just spinning. The screw holding this LH thread, so turn CCW to tighten it.
Art

Geez, belt 37 isn't too bad, but some of the other parts cost as much as the sander!
This is a repost. the original seems to have been lost by scumcast. ************
Belt #37 in the PC parts diagram probably broke or slipped off pulley #37B.
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/schematic.cgi/portercable/333
It's also possible that pulley #37B is loose and just spinning. The screw holding this LH thread, so turn CCW to tighten it.
Art

Thanx guys. It was the pulley #37 that was spinning. I tightened it up and presto, it works. I should replace the belt as well, just for good measure.

Maybe put a dab of threadlock to keep it from coming loose again.
Wayne