Tool Problem

Page 1 of 2
All my tools are no good any more.
I planed some wood to 3/4" and it seemed OK.
I cut some strips to 1/8" and they seem to fit OK.
What went wrong? I got a new digital caliper for Christmas. I just found out the wood I planed (or so I thought) to 3/4" is way under size. Not only does it measure .742, it has low spots that measure .740
The 1/8" strips shrunk also. The first one I grabbed was a mere .123.
I've already tossed the defective wood into the wood stove and I'm setting my tools out by the curb for trash day. Now that I have a digital readout caliper, I'm going to buy all new tools that are accurate and start over.
Anyone know the correct time? My watch says 10:42 but the digital clock says it is 10:43:15 so I'm going to be late for an appointment Ed

Thanks for proving me wrong... I always tell people that when drilling holes with my equipment, they don't need to worry about runout as much as metal workers do because I'd never heard of someone using either a caliper or micrometer on wood... You, my dear friend just erased that argument from my answer book. :(
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ

found
from
I hope Edwin didn't use a barbed hook this time. Those can be painful to remove.
todd
Todd Fatheree wrote:

From the responses, my guess is a harness with treble hooks. Well cast indeed. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Doesn't your newsreader recognize the sarcasm flag?
Patriarch
OMG! Sucker fish galore! I cannot believe they are still biting today!!!

I figured the time discrepancy comment would be enough to eliminate the barb.
In reality, the caliper is probably not going to increase accuracy very much, if any, but is easier than trying to see those little lines on the ruler.

It's Christmas... Everyone deserves a response today... Even the trolls.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

And the gullible.
todd
I use calipers when planing my wood.
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:58:11 -0600, John T
I use a plane. :-)

How do you sharpen them? Waterstones?
Patriarch
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 07:19:07 GMT, Patriarch

Another Q for him: Brake, dial, electronic LCD, or vernier?
------------------------------------------------------------- * * Humorous T-shirts Online * Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design * * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------------------
Goodness - gracious,
Throw out the parts and try again. Off by 8/100's or more!!!!!! There is a hundredths scale on my old frame square. I haven't been able to read that scale without glasses and a magnifying glass for over 20 years.
My dad is a retired tool and die maker. I always remember him making a drawer for a stereo, no probably hi-fi cabinet when I was a kid. We lived in arid Colorado and there were still plenty of days that you couldn't make that drawer budge. Wait for a few low humidity days and it would work just fine. His clearance allowance would have been unconscionable in metal work.

I sometimes wonder if houses would improve if the yahoos that work framing tract houses would serve as an apprentice to a tool and die maker for 6 months or so.
--

Roger Shoaf

Hell... they'd improve if those yahoos were forced to work for six months under a journeyman carpenter.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Cute. TWS
Edwin wrote: >"What went wrong?" snip
Heehee! Felt the same way when I bought some accurate squares and straightedges! Tom Work at your leisure!

Where do you live?