Tool Problem

All my tools are no good any more.

I planed some wood to 3/4" and it seemed OK.

I cut some strips to 1/8" and they seem to fit OK.

What went wrong? I got a new digital caliper for Christmas. I just found out the wood I planed (or so I thought) to 3/4" is way under size. Not only does it measure .742, it has low spots that measure .740

The 1/8" strips shrunk also. The first one I grabbed was a mere .123.

I've already tossed the defective wood into the wood stove and I'm setting my tools out by the curb for trash day. Now that I have a digital readout caliper, I'm going to buy all new tools that are accurate and start over.

Anyone know the correct time? My watch says 10:42 but the digital clock says it is 10:43:15 so I'm going to be late for an appointment Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for proving me wrong... I always tell people that when drilling holes with my equipment, they don't need to worry about runout as much as metal workers do because I'd never heard of someone using either a caliper or micrometer on wood... You, my dear friend just erased that argument from my answer book. :(

Reply to
Joe

Oh... And it sounds like the wood shrunk/dried and/or wasn't held tight to the table as you worked it.

Reply to
Joe

I hope Edwin didn't use a barbed hook this time. Those can be painful to remove.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Goodness - gracious,

Throw out the parts and try again. Off by 8/100's or more!!!!!! There is a hundredths scale on my old frame square. I haven't been able to read that scale without glasses and a magnifying glass for over 20 years.

My dad is a retired tool and die maker. I always remember him making a drawer for a stereo, no probably hi-fi cabinet when I was a kid. We lived in arid Colorado and there were still plenty of days that you couldn't make that drawer budge. Wait for a few low humidity days and it would work just fine. His clearance allowance would have been unconscionable in metal work.

DanG

Cute. TWS

Reply to
TWS

Edwin wrote: >"What went wrong?" snip

Heehee! Felt the same way when I bought some accurate squares and straightedges! Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Where do you live?

Reply to
bridger

From the responses, my guess is a harness with treble hooks. Well cast indeed. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Hmm - if you email me, vmail me or snail mail me, or call me at one of the six phone numbers associated with me now - I'll walk you though fixing that caliper. Clearly it needs the battery removed to work better.

NIST in Boulder is nearby. Hold on while I check their Cesium clock...

Reply to
patrick conroy

OMG! Sucker fish galore! I cannot believe they are still biting today!!!

Reply to
Markndawoods

I use calipers when planing my wood.

Reply to
John T

I use a plane. :-)

Reply to
Guess who

Fortune cookie - "Man with two clocks never really sure what time it is."

My wooddorking version - "Man with two measuring sticks never really sure of size."

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I figured the time discrepancy comment would be enough to eliminate the barb.

In reality, the caliper is probably not going to increase accuracy very much, if any, but is easier than trying to see those little lines on the ruler.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Corollary to the wooddorking version: "Man who has tool reading in ten thousandths of an inch will never be satisfied with the result."

TWS

Reply to
TWS

It's Christmas... Everyone deserves a response today... Even the trolls.

Reply to
Joe

Dave in Fairfax wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com:

Doesn't your newsreader recognize the sarcasm flag?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

John T wrote in news:PAkzd.3917$Rg1.1224 @fe03.lga: