Tool - name and source?

Looks like little (I think metal) wafers, used to measure/compare thicknesses. (Presumably) One for 1/32", one for 1/16", etc etc. Principally used by machinists?

I saw them described in a Woodsmith years ago, thought "I've needed those for years!" and *thought* I'd remember the name and get around to finding a source eventually. Hah! :-)

Ring any bells?

Thx, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Feeler gauge?

news

They are called gage blocks or gauge blocks. They come in rather large sets, for use by machinists and their QC inspectors. Don't know of any specifically made for the lower tolerance requirements of woodworking applications. If I only needed a few, I guess I'd be tempted to make my own from some stable hardwood with a planer and micrometer

Here is one:

in NC

Reply to
Bob Verne

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote the following:

No bells on wafer type feelers But would any of these help you out?

willshak

Setup Blocks:

keep a set of these close by the table saw all the time, and another set in a drawer in the work bench.

Another handy item for use as shims, and can also be used as setup blocks in a pinch:

cannot express how handy the latter are ... I keep a handful in my shop apron and use them constantly for measuring, and shimming to a

1/32". Greatest thing since shirt pockets ... get the ones from Lee Valley, they are special made for them and work the best.
Reply to
Swingman

They are called gage blocks or gauge blocks. They come in rather large sets, for use by machinists and their QC inspectors. Don't know of any specifically made for the lower tolerance requirements of woodworking applications. If I only needed a few, I guess I'd be tempted to make my own from some stable hardwood with a planer and micrometer

Here is one:

did say "wafers". That leads me to believe that space blocks are what he is thinking such as:

CW

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 13:35:12 -0600, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Set up blocks.

Dave

Gauge blocks are what you're probably thinking of.

Try one of these for setting up your machines, though:

old style

-- With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice. -- Oprah Winfrey

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks twice! These are what I need. And I expect a few other forum-folk might decide they also need 'em. Especially for only $5.95.

Thanks also to Dave.

Cheers, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Your thinking of gage blocks or setup gage blocks but they come in large sets of around 128 peices and they are usually from 1" down to less than a 64th in size. Enco sells a set that might be what your looking for. Hope this helps

Greg

Reply to
Greg

It does help. Jeez, < 1/64? I'd love to have a set, but I couldn't justify the expense, wouldn't use them that often.

Thanks, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 13:31:40 -0600, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

Normally, an array of setup blocks wouldn't be the expense you're imagining. One normally wouldn't own 64 pieces to make up an inch for example. Combining different sizes will make up a large array of dimensions.

Reply to
Dave

jtpr

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:31:01 -0800 (PST), jtpr

Reply to
Dave

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:31:01 -0800 (PST), jtpr

Clamping for fixture use. Often the holes are threaded for this purpose.

Reply to
CW