tool for jewelry box

I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of what she wants. They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only the pivot part of the hinge was showing. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work. Thanks, jaq
It is called a slotter, and you can get them at machine shop supply places. Then you will need a mandrel to put them on, and the machine to spin the slotter and put the slot where you want it to be. But if you are making the box you do not necessarily need to use that kind of hinge, you can make a fine jewelry box with a set of regular hinges, or a piano hinge or perhaps even some sort of pivot or something.
It would be a would lot easier to mortise the hinges using tools you already have than to tool up for the slot setup.
--

Roger Shoaf

Never heard of a "slotter" of the type you are describing. Then again, I've only been machining for 21 years. A slotter is a stationary machine tool. Large, heavy, expensive and will not do what the OP wants. What would work is a slotting saw. 1/2" mandrels are available for them and they (under 2") run fine in a router. We used to use them in router tables to trim plastic. Though this could be done, I agree with you that standard techniques would be a better way to go.

>> I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas >> was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She >> wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of >> what she wants. >> They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid >> were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only >> the pivot part of the hinge was showing. >> Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is >> actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my >> Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work. >> Thanks, jaq
Try searching for "kerf-cut hinge" or "barbed hinge". The hinges are inexpensive. The cutting blade and mandrel are quite expensive. See:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 930&filter=jewelery%20box%20hinge
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Google: hinge slot cutter
Most of the results are hobby suppliers. Radio control fliers have to cut slots for hinges.
Example: <http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK266&P=M
: I live in the northwest and my baby daughter (32 yrs old) from Texas : was visiting and we went to a store that sells wood products. She : wants a jewelry box! We saw several and I have a reasonable idea of : what she wants. : They were 1/2" thick.The hinges (looked to be 1/2"x3/4") for the lid : were put in a slot that was cut into the edge of the wood where only : the pivot part of the hinge was showing. : Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the slot cutter is : actually called and or where I could look for one? I looked in my : Grizzly catalog and didn't find anything that I though would work. : Thanks, jaq
In addition tom the other suggestions in this thread:
a) I think I've seen a hinge that gets inserted into the slot cut bya biscuit jointer. This would likely have been at Woodcraft; failing that, Lee Valley.
b) There's a simpler type of hinge that works for small boxes. It's just inserted into a drilled hole -- nothing required other than the right sized drill bit.
    -- Andy Barss

Barrel hinges. Soss make the cabinet sized hinges. I have some 3mm barrel hinges that are not Soss, but can't remember where I got them. The smallest Rockler seems to carry is 10mm: <http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page '0&cookietest=1>
jaq wrote:

I'm not sure that I can picture what it is you're describing, and I have a feeling what I'm going to link to isn't it, but it might be an alternative. I've used similar hinges on small boxes and I have had a lot of success with them.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p@245&cat=3,41241,41265
For narrower wood, you can use these: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&pF693&cat=3,41241
Tanus
--