Tool box on E Bay

Really don't think this guy is going to get $170.00 for this box do you? It starts at $99.99 and $69.99 shipping/handling, Not including Insurance. Thanks, Tony D. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%85050663&category64
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:24:02 -0500, "Anthony Diodati"

His feedback is 7178. He might know a thing or two about eBay. Keep an eye on the auction.
Barry
in message

Yea, Its possible. I have it booked-marked. Just noticed a BIN price of $299.99 Tony D.
It might not be that bad of a deal for someone who has a Gerstner box with bad drawers. No, not the kind of drawers you wear.... But the carcass has seen better days. I'd pay maybe $50, Gerstners are expensive (overpriced actually), but there's not much value in this box. I have a XL box and matching base at work, costs over $1000. Probably $100 in hardwood and $50 in hardware. Buy the drawers and make a jewelry box for SWMBO??? Mark
Anthony Diodati wrote:

Oh I know there Expensive, Thats about all its worth, TOPS, ($50.00) seeing it will need rebuilt. I got a pretty nice one at a flea market for $100.00, someone had started to strip it, so it needed re-finished, and the front panel was history, so I had to make a new ft. panel. Turned out nice though.
tony D.

I bet it goes for over $150 + shipping
--
Jon Down
My eBay items currently listed:

"Anthony Diodati" < snipped-for-privacy@cs.com> wrote in message
Anthony Diodati writes:

Hey, we all have our fantasies. Mine is winning tonight's $210 million Powerball.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:24:02 -0500, "Anthony Diodati"
It's a Gerstner ! (and an early one - it doesn' have the fat centre drawer to take a copy of Machinery's Handbook) You'll make that price easily.
It's not in bad condition either. Water damage to the outer carcase, but the innards look good. If it were mine, I'd repair the carcase and use it. If I dealt in such things, I'd quite possibly spend this much to buy it for parts. Machinist's toolboxes are heavy. If you drop one, the contents often bulldoze the drawers into lozenges. Spare drawers can be a useful repair.
Sadly it might even end up with the nameplate fastened to one of the modern Chinese copies of Gerstner toolboxes (look in Northern Tools' catalogue - they even copy the diamond mirror inside the lid), a bit of "patina" and then passing it off as genuine.
OTOH, I don't list things on eBay over Xmas. Might be a good time to sell Pepto-Bismol or fripperies to fools, but the serious collector trade tens to take time off.
-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
    Greetings and Salutations...
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:24:02 -0500, "Anthony Diodati"

    Don't know about Ebay, but, if a collector kicks in, probably will make MORE than that. I was at a local auction yesterday afternoon, and, was jaw-droppingly amazed by the sale of a Stanley 45 in average shape (a post-1910 model), no box and with missing parts. Why? Well within 2 minutes or less the price went from $50 (which was low...to $75...which I thought was fair) to $400! On top of that, there was a 5%-8% buyer's premium and sales tax!     I had stuck my hand up at $75...but just could not belive that someone would pay THAT much money for this plane.     Life is amazing.     Regards     Dave Mundt
snipped-for-privacy@esper.com (Dave Mundt) wrote in message

Where?
--

FF

    Greetings and Salutations...
On 2 Jan 2004 09:02:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

    On Buttermilk Road, off I-40 West, in East Tennessee, near Lenoir City. Here is a Mapblast pointer: <http://www.mapblast.com /(dlm1o3553zh43bmiruromrbo)/map.aspx?L=USA&C5.87050%2c-84.30138&A=7.16667&P=|35.87050%2c-84.30138|1|Buttermilk+Rd%2c+Lenoir+City%2c+TN+37771|L1|>     It is always an interesting thing to go to, although, man, sometimes the numbers get pretty amazing. On the other hand, I gather that some of the dealers that pick stuff up there also end up with an amazing markup. As an example, a pair of small rocking chairs, which sold for $75 each a bit ago got sighted in an antiques store a bit later - marked up to $375 each.     Working the tourist trade!     Regards     Dave Mundt
    P.S. Their next auction is the 30th, If I remember correctly.
Dave Mundt wrote:

SO and I went to an auction Tuesday.
There was a like new/ very little use AP-400 Delta DC, I started the bidding at $50 and dropped out at $80 or $90.
It went for either $145 or $150.
They can be found cheaper than that new.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio