Tool America Dovetail Jig

Does anyone have any experience using the tool america dovetail jig they advertise on Ebay? Looking for a good jig, and easy to use (link is included for reference).

in advance for any comments ....

Joe

Reply to
JoeV

Joe, There is no such thing as an easy to use and good jig for less than $50. This jig is crap, stay away!!! My favorite jig is the Keller Journeyman. It is very easy to setup and is very repeatable. For lower cost look at the Hartville Tool (also sold as Porter-Cable) 12". It's not as easy to use, but a little faster. It cuts both boards at the same time. The major advantage of the Keller is that the jig is set to the bits. All others are set to the wood and height of the router bit. Take out the router bit and you have to start the set-up all over again. It isn't quite so bad if you keep a sample joint from your last setup. That will make setting the bit height (fit of the joint) a little easier.

Rich

> Thanks in advance for any comments ....

Reply to
Rich Coers

> Thanks in advance for any comments ....

This looks like the same one that you can buy at Rocklers which is the one that I have. As pictured in your link, it will do half-blind dovetails. You will have to purchase an extra template to do through dovetails. All dovetails are fixed spacing which can be a problem sometimes. I do not have the through template (yet) so I cannot speak to them. The templates will be plastic and you will have to be careful with them.

Setup is a little time consuming but that might just be because I do not use it a lot and I have to read the directions every time. I think if I used it regularly then setup would not be too difficult. Other than that it does what it says.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular