tool advise

Old shop burned. New shop nearly complete. Tool buying time.

> Need advise about what to buy. First big purchases will be a > table saw, planer, and joiner. I would like a joiner larger than > the six inch one I had before. One of the important things for > me is the ease of changing and aligning the blades. The Rigid > joiner I had before required a slow tedious process to get the > new blades aligned. My new shop is wired for 110 and 220 volts. > Of course, affordability is important. > Suggestion and advice please on these and any other tool > purchases would be greatly appreciated.

George (aka Bumhead)

Reply to
bumhead

I have a PM66 which is a wondrous machine and an infinite improvement over the Sears contractor saw. Also the Grizzly 8" jointer (G0500) is a keeper. I also have a 14" Delta bandsaw which is OK (replaced broken motor with a Grizzly after 6 years), but I wish I had bought something with a resaw capability greater than 6". I can also recommend the Ridgid belt/spindle sander and the Performax drum sander, if you have a need for such equipment. The rest of my stuff is 20 yrs old or more including a 12" Sears bandsaw and a Sears scroll saw (nee jig saw), both of which are about 70 years old.

If you want to talk a bit more about some of this stuff, drop me an email and drop the mahalo in the addy. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Reply to
Russ Stanton

jo4hn wrote: ...

Second that altho will either have to find used or bite sizable $$ bullet (not that it isn't worth it imo, just that it doesn't fit well into the "affordability is important" scenario. Of course, depending on what the shop output is, it could well be important enough to justify the cost; that info is lacking entirely for context.

Buy the resaw height extension kit...

Everything here is at least 30 except for the portable tool stuff so no current recommendations.

I personally recommend the largest jointer you can fit into the shop and afford--10" is minimal; if I were really to get active again I'd be looking for old 20" Crescent or larger... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

For possible preventative measures in my own shop, what was the cause of your old shop having burned?

As for as replacement tools, for what kind of shop, hobby or commercial... and any particular specialty, if applicable?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Hobby!!!!! I have messed with a lot of different kind of woodworking just as a hobby. I built my the shop that burned. Made some furniture, did some turning, was into pen turning as gifts. Made jewlery boxes and recipe boxes as gifts. Built an outdoor purgola. Made a walnut shotgun stock for a friend. (Turned out good, but hopefully never again). Refinished some antique furniture that my wife inherited from her grandmother. Hobby now, but hopefully I'm a couple of years from retirement and I might try to make some stuff to sell. For me it is fun and good thearpy and keeps me out of the bars. George (aka Bumhead)

Old sh>For possible preventative measures in my own shop, what was the cause

Reply to
bumhead