tool advise

George (aka Bumhead)
bumhead wrote:

over the Sears contractor saw. Also the Grizzly 8" jointer (G0500) is a keeper. I also have a 14" Delta bandsaw which is OK (replaced broken motor with a Grizzly after 6 years), but I wish I had bought something with a resaw capability greater than 6". I can also recommend the Ridgid belt/spindle sander and the Performax drum sander, if you have a need for such equipment. The rest of my stuff is 20 yrs old or more including a 12" Sears bandsaw and a Sears scroll saw (nee jig saw), both of which are about 70 years old.
If you want to talk a bit more about some of this stuff, drop me an email and drop the mahalo in the addy.     mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote: ...

Second that altho will either have to find used or bite sizable $$ bullet (not that it isn't worth it imo, just that it doesn't fit well into the "affordability is important" scenario. Of course, depending on what the shop output is, it could well be important enough to justify the cost; that info is lacking entirely for context.

Buy the resaw height extension kit...

Everything here is at least 30 except for the portable tool stuff so no current recommendations.
I personally recommend the largest jointer you can fit into the shop and afford--10" is minimal; if I were really to get active again I'd be looking for old 20" Crescent or larger... :)
For possible preventative measures in my own shop, what was the cause of your old shop having burned?
As for as replacement tools, for what kind of shop, hobby or commercial... and any particular specialty, if applicable?
Sonny
Hobby!!!!! I have messed with a lot of different kind of woodworking just as a hobby. I built my the shop that burned. Made some furniture, did some turning, was into pen turning as gifts. Made jewlery boxes and recipe boxes as gifts. Built an outdoor purgola. Made a walnut shotgun stock for a friend. (Turned out good, but hopefully never again). Refinished some antique furniture that my wife inherited from her grandmother. Hobby now, but hopefully I'm a couple of years from retirement and I might try to make some stuff to sell. For me it is fun and good thearpy and keeps me out of the bars. George (aka Bumhead)
Old shop burned as results of fire from electrical utility pole that sat in corner of lot. Took out some fence, my neighbors storage shed, my shop with attached garden and yard tool storage, and attached patio with grill, smoker, and outdoor furniture. CHECK YOUR INSURANCE...I HAD UPGRADED MINE A FEW YEARS AGO WHEN I STARTED GETTING SO MANY TOOLS, LAWN MOWERS, GARDEN TILLERS, EXPENSIVE GEN AIR GRILL, ETC. INSRUANCE DID ME PRETTY GOOD!!!!!!!

I know they are costly but have considered the new combo machinges that are both jointer and planer. Many of them have spiral carbide cutter heads that meet the easy align requirement. Several of the woodworking type magazines have done reviews of these machines. Russ