too much play in arbor bearings?

I picked up a clean Jet 3HP cabinet saw for a great price. It all looks fine and is only about 2 years old. I really do not believe it's been worked hard.
However, I am able to grab onto the arbor flange and feel some play in the bearings. Is this normal? On my older Delta contractor saw I could feel no play. If I take hold and pull the arbor upwards I can feel a bit of play. I really have no idea how much, but it's a few thousands I'm guessing. It seems to be it should be nill.
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:16:14 -0500, "Kevin"

Doesn't sound right. The fit for the bearings should be press onto the arbor shaft and slip into the arbor bracket, In neither case should there be any significant play. If the the arbor bracket bore was machined too large you could have play. Or if the bearing are internally worn in which case, replace.
Are you sure it is not just the whole arbor assembly moving? They will, even if the lock knob is set.
Frank

I'll have to play with the "other parts" moving idea. I thought about that, and I have tried to isolate it. I need to remove the belts and try some more tests.

Kevin wrote:

How about the acid test? Can it be aligned and when so, does it cut w/o leaving chatter marks? Does it run w/o obvious bearing noise from either worn or dry bearings?
If so, no problem. If no, _then_ is time to worry. After all, the point is to make sawdust, not play machinist... :)
Ah there someone goes again... reminding us of the "point".. haha!
True.
I have to wire a 220 circuit into my new shop before I can test. But there should be no play in the arbor in my opinion.

Kevin wrote:

Well, again, theory is good but if the practice shows no significant problem, then what's the problem?
It's your choice, obviously, but I'd certainly hook the puppy up and start working and then decide if needed something done rather than look for something else to do first.
If, of course, you power it up and it squeals like a banshee, then that's a necessary fix.