too much of a good thing

a guy I work with is ripping out a cherry orchard to put in a golf course and is tearing out most of the trees I've fill my truck 3 time so far with 8"-15" diameter logs 4'-6' long and there is still tons more, the real big stuff can't load by my self so I haven't gotten it yet.

SWMBO - is upset because I come home late (doesn't care how much money I'm saving, doesn't understand why I don't use pine to build stuff) and how much room I'm going to take up with this (thinks the garage is for parking cars)

Co-worker - Wants to burn it and be done with it, and it really being nice by letting be sort though the slash piles

ME - I'm upset because I need a bigger truck or a trailer and some help, some of logs I can't hardly more let alone load into the truck so I can bring stuff home

like I said to much of a good thing

Reply to
Richard Clements

I have a full-size pickup *and* a Suburban. If you live anywhere near Indianapolis, email me (see my sig for correct address) and I'll help you haul it in exchange for some of the wood.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Where do you live? Could you rent a trailer for some of them?

Allen Mutilating good wood since 1998

Reply to
Allen Roy

I think you've *Treeted* yourself to enough,tell SWMBO she's barking up the wrong tree. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I am not sure I would bother with the 8" stuff. By the time you get past the sapwood there won't be much left.

Every make lumber before? You are in for quite an adventure.

Reply to
Toller

I'd be interested in knowing how the lumber from a fruit bearing cherry tree turns out. The lumber from these trees are not usually commercially harvested.

Reply to
Nova

I'm in Caldwell, ID and the trees are in Fruit land about 30 miles from here

Reply to
Richard Clements

did a bunch of maple, willow, and cherry last spring, so now it's nice and cured, the cherry turned out really nice, same with the maple, the willow is so, so, wasn't expecting much but it was free but the labor and if you stain it right it looks kinda like walnut, just not as heavy or hard

Reply to
Richard Clements

did some last year turned out nice

Reply to
Richard Clements

Man, I feel your pain! But just think of even how much _more_ money you'll save after you get that truck, trailer, and a bandsaw to process those logs with!

Reply to
lwasserm

Ahhh, the self-delusion of the home woodworker. Rationalize yourself into buying more tools so you can save money building or using something else. Unfortunately, the delusion never ends and you're constantly buying more tools to save more money ad infinitum. It's only a number of years down the road that most of us realize just *how much* money we spent trying to save money.

At least we had a good time trying to save all this money. Better than the guy with a whole boatload of saved cash who is mostly too old to enjoy it.

Reply to
Upscale

You can't take it with you. You'll be filling the minutes of your life doing *something*! I think this is better than spending it at a bar or the pursuit of a bigger and bigger number on a financial statement and then ending up giving it all to a nursing home at the end.

Enjoy life now. Hard to say how much any of us have.

Reply to
George Max

All that cherry and none of it getting turned? You just can't know how weird that sounds to folks on the left coast!

Seems you folks have cherry like we have pine... lol Mac

mac davis

"boatload of saved cash" Now there's an oxymoron if I ever saw one. Believe me, I tried the boat thing about 30 years ago and like the old saying goes, a boat is a _hole_ in the water where you can throw your money. "Boatload of saved cash!" Sheesh... that's agood one.

Reminds me of when SWMBO comes home with a carload (and it's a station wagon too) of bags and boxes after shopping at the big sale, and says something like "I could have saved another two hundered dollars if I hadn't tun out of money..."

Reply to
lwasserm

snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote in news:G_SdnasB5_JqOLDYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@charm.net:

*snip*

I think every married couple has stories like this. :-) My mom used to tell my dad how much she saved, and he'd usually say, "Yeah, but how much did you spend?"

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

comparison, wild trees are almost all pine or willow, fruit land has Orchards but before this all the stuff I've gotten was urban trees

Reply to
Richard Clements

yep.. the 2 words that married men fear most are "cute" and "sale"

Mac

mac davis

If it weren't for my friend Chuck in N.Y., I would still have not turned cherry or maple..

He sends me care packages regularly and what a pleasant education it's been...

Mac

mac davis

Congratulations. that's awesome. Don't worry, eventually the wife will accept she can't park in the garage anymore.

Reply to
bf

Remember, the temporary partition that is used to separate cars from workshop is called a garage door. big toothy grin, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn