Too Many Clamps, Not Enough Hands

Page 1 of 2
OK, so I don't really have too many clamps, but I definitely don't have enough hands.
I'm looking for some tips on clamping up projects. Between the cauls, pads, parts, angles, etc. it seems I'm always dropping something, missing my mark or just basically having a hard time lining everything up.
Most of my clamps are steel f-clamps with a few wooden Jorgensens and a couple of QuickGrips.
Any tips to share?

The following thoughts help my glue-ups be enjoyable experiences with no rushing or surprises.
1.) Do practice runs without glue. Use lessons learned from the practice "no-glue"-up to create subassemblies whenever possible. The practice runs will also set your clamps to length and double-check that you've got everything handy. If it's ultra involved, write yourself a procedure.
2.) Use slower drying glues, like Titebond Extend or slow epoxies, when necessary.
3.) Don't be afraid to use brads, screws, etc... in inconspicuous places.

4) Get a helper. Even a four-year-old can follow instructions like "hand me that clamp" or "here, hold this" or "tighten this knob".
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

5) Build jigs and supports
6) Sometimes can rearrange to allow smaller subassemblies which are then combined
On Jul 15, 12:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

"hand me -- that clamp" or "here, hold this" or "tighten this knob".
I thought the purpose of woodworking was to get away from the four- year-old. ;-)

Involve the four-year-old as much as you can. It pays dividends later.
--
Regards,
4) Cauls and clamp blocks can sometimes be taped into place so they don't fall down while you're getting clamps on them. -- JeffB remove no.spam. to email
B A R R Y wrote:

Become familiar with the many uses and possibilities of big rubber bands.
FoggyTown

I do a sequential practice clamp up, then take pictures with my digital camera, print them off on regular paper, number any blocks that are not square or have a custom fit to a clamp, mark the clamping sequence (with the numbered blocks) on the pictures, then take a deep breath and start the real glue up.
Frank
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Buy your wife a beer (to be shared AFTER she helps with the clamping.)
;-)
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

_YOU_ have balls...
Involving your wife in a glue up! <G>
That's almost as nice as having the wife catch long rips!
B A R R Y wrote:

It's not as dangerous as it sounds; I don't actually let her hold glue.
<G>
But, as far as those rips go, she has her own hearing protection and respirator for exactly that reason! She's also handy for crosscutting full panels and holding things while I skilsaw them down to manageable sizes. She has even been known to clue me in to fallen trees in our neighborhood. (I also turn.) A few months ago she assembled a dozen or so keyfobs while I turned the rest of an order.
True fact ... I have a gem of a wife. Yes, she does have a sister ... but I married the right one. Trust me.
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

Will you refer the left one to me please.
GB -- .sig
GB wrote:

Are you Catholic? If so, you could get last rights at the wedding and cut out the middleman.
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

Bill... I sure hope GB meant the left OVER one...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

That's the way I read it. Although my wifes sister has mellowed over the past five years, I still can't think of anything GB has done to me that was so bad I would introduce him to my SIL.I'm not protecting HER, I'm protecting HIM! ;-)
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 00:50:11 -0400, BillinDetroit

So do I. She's truly a sweetheart, fantastic teacher of little kids, and terrific at lots of things.
Unfortunately, she is not so good with mechanical spatial relationships, which hurts her utility in glue up assistance (as well as navigating a car through strange places <G>).
She's absolutely terrified of power tools. We've tried and tried to help her get comfortable with all kinds of safety gear, but a machine shop environment still totally overloads her senses. With power tools, I never know if she'll get a death grip or *suddenly let go* at inopportune times. Both can be really bad, not knowing which will happen at a given time is worse!
We've been married long enough to recognize where help from friends and neighbors is valuable. Her, as well as her brother and sister's, high school shop horrors make great "back in the day" stories, as all of them are happy to have not lost any body parts.

I guess I'm lucky... the wife is a pretty good helper. My guess is that her experience running a sharpening business gives her a basic idea of what I'm doing, so she's a big help with clamping stuff while I try to hold it, being my "cut off table", etc...
Then again, most of the flat work that I do is for HER, that could be motivation..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

There's a reason the Bessey style K clamps are popular. No pads needed. The smaller and lighter uniklamps are good for the same reason, and I really have to be desperate for a clamp before I'll reach for a F instead of the uni's.
Beyond that, are you sure you're swearing with both enough frequency and volume?
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:

harder to hold.
If it is taking you too long to do the clamp up, use a shorter epoxy. Nothing will make 5 minutes fly by like quick-setting epoxy!
DAMHIKT (but I now know the maximum number of pen blanks I can glue up from a single batch of 5-minute stuff.)
I can only get more glued up if I have a midget to point to the plane.
(cue Herve Villachez in a Lee Valley store ... hey Lee! Time for a TV spot!)
Scene opens Clerk is stocking an aisle. A voice is heard: "The Plane, the plane!" Clerk stands, looks around, looks puzzled (voice over about how well-stocked a LV store is). Clerk kneels and starts to stock the shelf again. The voice is heard again, this time saying "The saw, the saw!". Cut to puzzled expression on clerks face again and then pan to Ricardo Montebon (sp?) look-alike stifling a laugh.
Alternate ending:
Pull back to scene of videographers and director calling "cut, cut" and turning to assistant saying "I thought I told you to get that guy outta here!"
;-)
Bill