Too good to be true?

Page 10 of 11

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ed,Ed,Ed... You've forgotten the pills that turn gas into water. Sort of a reverse Jesus with a half gainer.
Bob
I heard a story about Mark Twain. It seems that he bought an automobile and had a second gas tank installed, then disconnected the regular one. He would drive into a gas station, fill the regular gas tank with water, pop a little white pill into the water-filled tank, and drive off. Don't know if it's true, but it makes a good story.
--Steve
Bob Schmall wrote:

In the early 70's , I was more interested in HP than MPG.
I stuck this "cool can" gizmo between the tank and the carb of my Boss 302 (wish I had that today). It was sort of like a mini "still" with an aluminum tube coiled around the inside of an insulated can - maybe 10 inch diameter. The idea was that you fill the can with ice, or better dry ice, and then run your honey at the local strip. It was to increase the density of the gas. You know, more cc's passing through the pump at any given moment.
Don't think that it did anthing, but it sure looked "cool" when when it was smokin' from the dry ice when I popped the hood.
Lou

Hey, you keep adding stuff like that, eventually you are going to have to stop every several miles and siphon off some gas so the tank doesn't overflow. :-)
The carborator was real and did work. The rumor mill distorted the claims. It did do what it was claimed by the the manufacturer to do.

feedback.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryc2&itemC89110247&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Please provide a credible cite for this. We'll get into the chemical limitations once you do that. "I heard a guy say a friend of a friend said" isn't a cite, by the way.

That should have read "CARBONATOR" What it did was to carbonate the gasoline (like Coca Cola) then when the gasoline was compressed in the cylinder & ignited, the extra pressure resulting from the release of CO2 from the carbonated gas would give more power!
Only problem was that it would make the engine burp & gurgle at times.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
You want something in print, you'll have to dig it up yourself. About a year ago, there was an interview, on a radio talk show, with the maker of the carburetor that had so much BS behind it. It was not represented as a "100 hundred mile per gallon" conversion. It wouldn't really improve anything on a standard passenger car. It was intended for the RV market, where engines were under a heavy load. The difference was the spraybar. It forced atomization instead of relying on airflow as in a regular carb. This improved combustion efficiency. The improvement was not earth shattering but was there. The host of the show had heard all of these wild claims that were going around and, wanting to get the real story, tracked this guy down. The conspiracy theorists said that the oil companies bought this guy out, had him killed, ect. Not at all true. The reason that he ceased production was due to the advent of fuel injection. It was more efficient than any carburetor.

Yes, that's what fuel injection does - improves atomization. Changes the surface area:mass ratio of the fuel. If you have unburned hydrocarbons, that would show up in the emissions. It doesn't, therefore there aren't massive quantities of unburned hydrocarbons with which to improve your mileage. This

Right. So what's your point then? 80MPG never happened in anything resembling a production vehicle.
By the way "I heard an interview on the radio" also isn't what's known as a "cite".
Dave Hinz wrote:

Depends also on when and where they were burned.
The Honda Controlled Velocity Combustion Chamber (CVCC) is (was?) a very smart approach to fuel efficiency. The cylinder was fed a very lean mixture--too lean for reliable spark ignition while the spark plug was housed in a sort of antechamber atop the cylinder which was fed with a rich mixture. The result was reliable ignition of the rich mixture at the plug producing a flame front that reliably ignited the lean mixture in the cylinder, which in turn burned up the fuel almost completely during the power stroke. Overall the engine burned leaner, and therefor more efficiently and cleaner (as Mr Hinz notes the two go hand-in-hand).
My Honda FE got 50-52 mpg on the PA turnpike cruisig with traffic at about 65 mph. That's a car, not a motorcycle.
--

FF
which received

Dave Hinz wrote:

IIRC the Fiat Spider came close. Google is your friend.
--

FF

When the show was an interview with the inventor of the thing (yes, he was there in the studio), it has a lot to do with it. I'm sure you would rather the government spend a few million dollars on research and publish a report for you to read but I doubt that's going to happen. Now, go make a pointy stick and fall on it.

Lots of people lie about what they've made. Nothing new there.

I notice you ignored my point about hydrocarbons, and how if there were unburned ones left by the normal carb, that they'd show up in the exhaust. Why, oh why, might that be, I wonder?

You should talk to somebody about your hostility problems.
No offense, but please cite the name of the manufacturer ("Fish Co." isn't good enough) and some supporting evidence that the thing existed.
Bob
CW wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryc2&itemC89110247&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

There are ways to regenerate NiCd batteries, yes. Some are temporary, some are less temporary. If you have a Batteries Plus store near you, they'll take a battery pack in, see if the techniques work on it, and if they do, they'll charge you for the "revive". If it doesn't work, then you can buy new batteries from them.
Their advice and findings can, I think, be trusted either way, because either way they get profit out of the transaction, and I've always been doen well by them. I'd give the guy on eBay a miss; you can probably find dodgy advice on how to renew NiCd batteries on google, and it's probably just as valid.
See if your local battery house has a service like this. I just noticed last night that one of my Makita 18V paks needs this, and it's in the car today for that reason.
Dave Hinz
My Batteries Plus store will not touch battery packs from cordless power tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Puff

Hm. I've used ours several times for this service. They have a tech on duty (with a glass wall so you can watch him work - I'd _HATE_ that if it was me) with all the toys. They'll put new individual cells into devices that don't have seperate packs, and all that. I suppose they're franchises so they may vary?

tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom
tom wrote:

tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom
Any competent rebuilder should have the ability to dissasemble virtually any battery pack and rebuild it...there are at least two independent ones in Wichita I've used. Everything from early-death drill packs to antique HP calculators.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

tools. At least that's what the fellow told me in November last year. Could be the packs you brought in were not screwed together, rather a glued-up box? At least that was the kicker for my Batteries Plus store. Tom

Somehow I don't think this is what the OP had in mind. The eBay scam looks more like a magic pill than a competent rebuild.
Bob