Too good to be true?

Page 1 of 11

Has anyone been brave enough to pay for info on how to "revive" cordless toll batteries that no longer hold a charge? This guy is selling this "info" On Ebay for $12.95 and has a 99.7% feedback. Can this be true? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryc2&itemC89110247&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Gene
--

This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-virus software

Gene T wrote:

NiCad batteries develop a "memory". If they are charged before being fully discharged, they will ultimately sort of "think" that they should be charged sooner than before. One way to remedy that is to *fully* discharge the battery then charge. No idea if that's what is being done by the device the guy is peddling.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
Howdy!

That is bad advice.
Every now and then, it is a good idea to run the battery down to about 10%. Running it all the way down practically guarantees that at least one of the cells will be fully discharged early and try to take a charge in the wrong way, causing it damage.
The "memory" effect is overblown, being difficult to actually demonstrate.
DAGS for nicad memory effect...
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix

Come on over, I'll show you a real example. People have been saying for decades that it doesn't exist, and people have continued to experience it during all that time. A NiCd battery rejuvination produces measurable real results; if that's not from memory effect, what do you think it's from?
Howdy!

Rechargable batteries deteroriate in a variety of ways. Just because your NiCad battery isn't putting out what you expect doesn't mean you are suffering from the memory effect. Overcharging can do damage that results in lower capacity.
The "memory effect" is specifically the result of repeatedly going through a discharge/charge cycle that is (effectively) always a fixed percentage of the battery's capacity. Consumer use of NiCad batteries is vanishingly likely (read not hardly at all) to meet this strict requirement.
Charging too slowly, or allowing the battery to get too hot are other species of mistreatment that harm capacity.
Now, "rejuvenitation" may well be able to repair some of these forms of damage, but that doesn't mean that "memory" is involved.
Did you actually follow up on my "Do A Google Search" to see what I was looking at?
Now, I'm not an electrochemist, but I had no trouble discovering this information online, nor in corroborating it from multiple sources.
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix

True. But, if Makita's product literature is to be believed, their chargers are well-behaved in this regard.

Could be.

Fair enough.

Well, without knowing which search terms you used, it's hard to know. But, yes, I'm familiar with the chemistry and terminology involved, as well as the various failure modes.

Well, put it this way...we used to use a charge/discharge cycle device to increase the capacity of NiCd battery packs. The diminished capacity appeared similar to the memory effect, and the improved capacity afterwards appeared similar to a memory effect being mitigated. The effect may have been something not technically "memory", but the usability of the battery was effectively the same as if it was.
Howdy!

[snip a whole bunch of stuff where we are in fair agreement or better]

My bad. I DAGS for "nicad memory effect", and the first two hits were productive, one being the sci.electronics FAQ.

OK. That makes sense. I'm just twitching at the misuse (widespread) of the term "memory effect" as it applies to NiCd batteries, since it also serves to gloss over mistreatment effects by the end user.
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix

Oh now, where's the fun in that?

Cool, I'll check that out.

Well, in the case of these defib batteries, it was mistreatment that caused it, but that's the nature of a defib. They sit for long periods of time, interrupted by very occasional intense discharge cycles - usually for the monthly or weekly calibration and recharge time checks. A defib probably gets discharged in testing 100 times for every time it gets used on a patient. So, the batteries sit at full charge, with the charger on 'em, nearly all the time. But, the need to have it usable outweighs the cost of the deterioration of the battery packs. Medical devices are a strange world, where "do something that'll hurt the batteries in the long run, but test it and get rid of them before 'the long run'" makes some sort of sense.
But, as far as language and terminology, if it acts like "memory", and smells like "memory", and gets fixed the same way one fixes "memory", then it's memory-enough-ish for me.

Dunno.... sounds interesting, but fishy. I just sent emails to five of his buyers, selected at random from among those who bought at least a month ago, asking if they're still happy. If I get any responses, I'll post them.
--
Regards,
Gene T wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryc2&itemC89110247&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
If it were true, don't you think the manufacturers would have figured out how to do it and make money on the process? This smells like the infamous Fish carburetor of long ago. You know, the one that got 50-60 mpg as a bolt-on. Bob

Hey, it works, When I added the water injector from JC Whitney, my mileage went up to 70 mpg. They I added that fan thingies under the carb, plus a special ingredient in the gas tank and I'm getting 82 mpg on a regular basis. I can't wait for the Fire Ring spark plugs to get here. My goal is to top 100 mpg.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah. And you have as much chance as there is of gas hitting $3 a gallon. Oh. Whoops. That's later this summer. Maybe the new model year will have a 100 MPG hybrid.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Be careful, if you put too many of these add-ons on the same car you'll start making gas and the EPA will be all over you for polluting the environment when it overflows the tank anywhere near a wetlands. or a puddle of standing water. Joe

What about that magnet thingy that "aligns" the gasoline molecules for more MPG!?!?!
Oh oh... Here come the black helicopters...
Patrick Conroy says...

I once picked up a hitchhiker who claimed he knew of a guy who bought a prototype Chrysler that got 80mpg. Then some guys found him and took the car back. You see, the oil companies buy up all the patents for high mileage innovations so they never see the light of day. He was the most clean-cut and rational of all the three or four hitchhikers I ever picked up. I stopped picking up hitchhikers before my 17th birthday some twenty years ago.

One of them bite you? Are you telling me that at the tender age of 18, you wouldn't have stopped for some hitchhiking cute woman in a short skirt?
Upscale says...

Never saw any. By that time both hitchhiking and picking them up was, well, let's say out of fashion. I believe I saw one in Raleigh trying to hitch a ride on the beltway once. I wanted to pick her up, but mainly because I wanted to ask her if she had lost her mind.
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:10:24 -0500, Hax Planx

The manufacturers really don't seem to be doing too badly, as far as I can see. I picked up an 05 Ford Focus last week because my van was on it's deathbed, and it's getting 30-35 mpg with the AC running on max constantly. According to the owner's manual, it will get up to 51 mpg under optimal circumstances- and it's got almost no emissions. The downside is that I opened the hood, and realized that I will probably never be able to work on the thing- it looks more like some kind of spaceship than any engine I'm accustomed to.
Nice little car, though. Came with one of those Japan-esque warranties, too. 5yrs/75,000mi bumper-to-bumper, and 100,000mi warranty on the drive train.

Well seeing as there are many road vehicles in Europe that routinely hit that figure its not surprising, as to whether a Chrysler could do it I have my doubts. Other vehicles in the Daimler Chrysler group could though.
Just to prove what can be done the world record for a vehicle capable of carrying a human is currently 10703 - yes you read that right, ten thousand, ten followed by four zeros, miles per gallon.

Can you provide examples of 80mpg production vehicles please?

And is that vehicle roadworthy?