Too Freak'en cold

Page 4 of 4
Sun, Feb 4, 2007, 2:29pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth sayeth: <snip> became too difficult to chop a big enough hole in the ice for my boat to fit in. I still miss the sound of the sinker hitting the ice after a nice long cast....
What's really a bitch is making the hole long enough for trolling.
JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily. - Johann Von Schiller
On Feb 4, 11:49 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

LOL..then the image struck me of a series of individual holes, on either side of the long hole for the oars..... then again, I may not think like other people. You could get some fricking leverage though.... but then you wouldn't be trolling any more... you could go skiing.
There's a Canadian beer commercial in there somewhere. We call that self-defacating humour here.
I love the concept.. a canoe with a tighter rib package for a breaker- bow. Problem.. you could ride the thing onto the ice..then what? What-the- hell, might as well go fishing.
A 4.8 KW contruction heater keeps my shop nice and toasty. But when I have the DC, tablesaw AND the heater going, the breaker blows when the compressor fires up. My dream is under-floor radiant heating. Small boiler (could be electric) and tubing in the floor. I love the feel of that. Forced air is so dirty. And natural gas, although the cheapest for me here, is not suitable because of the 'kaboom' factor when dealing with solid surface adhesives and spraying contact cement. I suppose one could do a natural gas boilerette outside the shop and feed the tubes from there. Looks like spring will be the time for me to build. 582 square feet is the cut-off here. After that, you need to dig deep for proper footings etc. That's 24 x 24-ish. Not what I wanted. Two of those would be nice, we'll see what the city council has to say. I have room on either property for 1000 sq-ft without violating the 'coverage' laws. Concrete is so darned expensive!
Those low temps lend a whole new meaning to 'ice in veins'. Here in south Texas it's getting out of those intolerable 40s and 50s and is supposed to hit 60 today and a high of clear and 70 this week - marginably acceptable!. Then back to the 50s. Too close to sea level for a basement (note envy in tone).

supposed to hit 60 today and a high of clear and 70 this week - marginably acceptable!. Then back to the 50s.

Last week we had 7 F. Yesterday it hit 64 F. This has been one strange winter.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:
> Last week we had 7 F. Yesterday it hit 64 F. This has been one strange > winter.
It had risen from 0F to about 20F when I left Cleveland last week.
Arrived back in SoCal to nite time temps of about mid 50's.
Yesterday it hit 90F at SuperBowl game time.
I'll take it.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Yesterday it hit 90F at SuperBowl game time.

Me too ... it hit a sunny 68 this afternoon in the shop... oh so damn wonderful after 48 days of cold rain, in TEXAS, of all places.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/02/07
Stoutman wrote:

I just got a natural gas unit heater installed in my garshop today. 45K Btu/hr.
Got an unpleasant surprise though...apparently there is no insulation in the ceiling, even though the walls are insulated. Just bought the house in November, saw insulation in the walls and vapour barrier around the edges of the ceiling so I assumed it was insulated up there. No access hatch, so I couldn't actually look up there.
Oh well, gives me a chance to do it right I guess...
Chris

There is a lot to be said for doing insulation right....and to do it right, you often have to do it yourself. (I don't suggest you take out your own appendix.)