Too Freak'en cold

"Doug Payne" wrote

I remember one snowy morning when I was a kid walking to the bus stop. It was cold and windy. The bus was a little late and we were happy to get onto a heated bus. A short distance away, the bus got stuck. The driver was frantic. We told him to calm down. We would go home and get the tractor and pull him out.

We took our time, had a few snowball fights and eventually got the bus pulled out. The driver was still frantic and wanted us to leave the tractor at the neighbor's place. We said no. We returned the tractor to it's shelter.

When I eventually got to school, hours late, the principal met me and asked what happened. When I told him, he burst out laughing. When I asked him what was so funny, he said that I was the only seventh grade student he ever had that pulled out a big yellow school bus with the family tractor.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

supposed to hit 60 today and a high of clear and 70 this week - marginably acceptable!. Then back to the 50s.

Last week we had 7 F. Yesterday it hit 64 F. This has been one strange winter.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I just got a natural gas unit heater installed in my garshop today. 45K Btu/hr.

Got an unpleasant surprise though...apparently there is no insulation in the ceiling, even though the walls are insulated. Just bought the house in November, saw insulation in the walls and vapour barrier around the edges of the ceiling so I assumed it was insulated up there. No access hatch, so I couldn't actually look up there.

Oh well, gives me a chance to do it right I guess...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

LOL..then the image struck me of a series of individual holes, on either side of the long hole for the oars..... then again, I may not think like other people. You could get some fricking leverage though.... but then you wouldn't be trolling any more... you could go skiing.

There's a Canadian beer commercial in there somewhere. We call that self-defacating humour here.

I love the concept.. a canoe with a tighter rib package for a breaker- bow. Problem.. you could ride the thing onto the ice..then what? What-the- hell, might as well go fishing.

Reply to
Robatoy

It had risen from 0F to about 20F when I left Cleveland last week.

Arrived back in SoCal to nite time temps of about mid 50's.

Yesterday it hit 90F at SuperBowl game time.

I'll take it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Me too ... it hit a sunny 68 this afternoon in the shop... oh so damn wonderful after 48 days of cold rain, in TEXAS, of all places.

Reply to
Swingman

There is a lot to be said for doing insulation right....and to do it right, you often have to do it yourself. (I don't suggest you take out your own appendix.)

Reply to
Robatoy

Ah, the good old days... I grew up in a small town in Pa that had a single jr high for the entire town & much of the surrounding area. It was 9 blocks, a little under a mile, from my house, & lots of kids I knew had to walk several blocks further. The Junior high had no cafeteria, so the lunch break was 1 1/2 hours, plenty of time for a 12 year old to get into trouble. We had the option at lunch time of walking home & back, walking to the High School about 6 blocks away to use the cafeteria there, or eating at one of several diners or sub shops within a few blocks of the school. One plus, the city transit bus was 15 cents for a minor, but man, that was a lot of money in those days. For

35 cents I could go to a Saturday matinee at one of the towns 2 movie theaters, and see a newsreel, cartoon, serial, and main feature, sometimes a double feature! I sometimes think about how my brother and friends and I, at the age of 8 or 9, used to walk or bicycle all over that area, probably within a range of 2 or 3 miles in any direction from our neighborhood. Today (living in Baltimore) I wouldn't let my 10 year old go 5 blocks from our house without an adult.
Reply to
Larry

The limit for bus rides was 1 mile. I lived one street too close. In Michigan my Michigan. Used to sit over the sewer vents on the way home to warm up a bit if the wind wasn't too bad.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

It's 3 deg. F as I write these words and getting stinking cold in my basement. G'night.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit