Too Freak'en cold

T88 epoxy is good to 35. GE silicone (the original nonpaintable kind) is good down into the negative numbers, but it's not all that great an adhesive.

Reply to
J. Clarke

TB Extend is good to 40

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
Lou Newell

I've had to use both the block heater and the propane preheater before flying this weekend. Love that Toyota 120v outlet in the pickup bed!

Picture blow drying your car with dust collection hose and hot air before you can leave the driveway. While you're at it, picture your car sliding across an icy driveway, with the brakes totally locked, just because the engine is idling.

We've been on a hangar waiting list for 2 1/2 years.

At least there's no snow banks to grab the wingtips...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Yer all a pack of nancy boys. I live in the -40 capital of North America. I'd love it if the temp hit a balmy -10. It's currently

-27 with an expected low of -34. Celcius.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Maybe it is, but I'm not.

Anything below 65F, screw it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thought marinas were the only ones who pulled that trick.

Live & learn.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

... snip

I think that one belongs, as an excuse, in another thread in progress. ;-)

Mark & Juanita

You Yanks have no real sense of cold , went into my workshop it is -40c did a little sanding had to give it up feet too cold . Bye the way I'm in central Can.

Sal

Reply to
sal

My basement shop never gets above 65 even in the summer. 60 can actually be pretty nice, especially if you are doing anything like hand planing where you're going to work up a sweat. I'll have to go down to a t-shirt to be comfortable.

55 is about my threshold for being comfortable with a reasonable amount of layers.

Low 50s are doable, but the first half hour is pretty bad. Once I get used to it and get focused on the work I don't really notice it anymore. It's an encouragement to not stand around doing nothing.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I'd say many of us have more sense than to live in an area where it gets to -40C (or -40F for that matter, they are the same) on a regular basis. ;-)

Seems Wisconsin, Michigan, North Dakota tend to get to those temps pretty regularly during the winter.

Mark & Juanita

Lew Hodgett wrote in news:gH6xh.18690$yx6.9130 @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I have a nephew in that area, near Cleveland, on temporary assignment for a couple of years. Home for him is just east of Tuscon, AZ. He's freezing hisself pretty good right about now.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I can empathize Stoutman. I've built a number of things in the gar, er shop when it was cold enough to see my breath. I finally broke down and bought a unit heater. I insulated the garage door and that baby keeps it as warm as I want it. Lately at night, when I do most of my work, it's been getting into the teens (and lower) and I'm toasty warm. I think it was around $400 off of Ebay (search for Dornback). Very similar to the Mr. Heater version but a lot cheaper. It works great! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Sat, Feb 3, 2007, 1:49pm (Stoutman) doth lament: Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in the cold woodshop. Need a heater!

Yeah, tell me about it. I live a tad east of Raleigh. We've had snow twice this winter, and some of it even lasted until the next day even.

Uh huh, yeah, sure, right, cold. I was born and raised in Michigan, but stayed down here when I retired from the Army. It doesn't get COLD down here, just cool. And my mother seriously thinks I'd like to move back to Michigan. But it wasn't the weather that kept me from doing that, it was the people. Worst damn winters I ever spent were when I was at Ft Lee, VA. Never got lower than 32 degrees above zero farenheight, but the wind cut right thru anything you wore.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

Sat, Feb 3, 2007, 2:53pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@ranch.mx (Dude) doth claimeth: When I was a kid, I had to walk 5 miles to school and home in the snow! Uphill both ways. In a light jacket. Wearing shorts. Carrying books. With holes in my socks. Pulling my two brothers on a sled. Without runners. One time my tongue stuck to my teeth.

Yeah, right. I've heard probably all of those. Way back until we moved just before I got in the 7th grade. We lived on a dead-end street, insid of town limits. Which made me, and the neighbor kids, ineligible to get bus rides. So we all had a nice half mile one-way walk to school, starting in fhe first grade (no kindergarten back then) until we moved. Rain, sun, snow, whatever, we walked both ways. Nowadays that'd probably be considered cruel and inhumane. Back then no one thought anything of it. How times have changed. This was in Michigan, so you know we got snow. When we moved I was on a school bus route. I thought I was squattin' in tall cotten then.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

Sat, Feb 3, 2007, 11:51pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B=A0A=A0R=A0R=A0Y) doth sayeth: picture your car sliding across an icy driveway, with the brakes totally locked, just because the engine is idling.

When I was a kid we used to go on slick country roads and play alot. Packed snow on dirt roade, with cars. Funny thing. We learned a car with locked brakes won't stop - we never went terribly fast - but if you tapped the brakes as fast a you could, you could usually stop a sliding car. Don't push hard tho, tap just hard enough to put pressure, release, repeat. We used to pull sleds behine the car, and did a LOT of sledding.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3333.bay.webtv.net:

*trim*

It's worth the time and effort to go out in bad weather and "play." Some of the stuff I learned saved me from getting into worse situations than I was already in. It may have even prevented an accident or two.

There's nothing like being on the interstate and knowing you're still on the road but not knowing WHERE on the road you are... and some nuts have the gall to go 30 and 40 mph?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

With a spinning prop, the plane will actually start to move, and in some cases pick up decent speed, even though the brakes were never released.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Sun, Feb 4, 2007, 9:20am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: There's nothing like being on the interstate and knowing you're still on the road but not knowing WHERE on the road you are... and some nuts have the gall to go 30 and 40 mph?

Many years back, coming back from deer hunting. Road was packed snot, slick, but no problem if you kept it to about 30 MPH or so. Stopped along side the road to halp push a car out of the ditch. Maybe a dozen cas stopped. Plenty of room to get thru. Road was straight and level for a couple of miles behind us, and level a good half mile in front. Cars coming would just slow downto about 15 MPH, no prob. One car came down the hill, maybe 40 MPH. Kept coming. Then maybe 300 yards or more put on the brakes to slow up to go thru the cars. Brakes locked, of course. Let off the brakes? No way. And, of course, with the brakes locked, no matter which way you turn the wheel, the car is not going to go any way but straight. So the driver proceeded to slowly lose speed all that way, and eventually slammed right into one of the cars parked off the pavement at the great speed of about 5 MPH, brakes still locked. What a maroon.

You want nuts in the winter snows. Visit northern Virginia. Get a skim of sow coming down and Ft lee would close down. Get a skim of snow blowing across the highways, not of it sticking at all, and the local drivers, the ones that were "daring" enough to get out in the snow storm were doing about 15 MPH, with chains on. Hell, I never have even owned a set of snow tires, let alone chains.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

Sun, Feb 4, 2007, 12:17pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B=A0A=A0R=A0R=A0Y) doth sayeth: With a spinning prop, the plane will actually start to move, and in some cases pick up decent speed, even though the brakes were never released.

On days like that I'd leave the plane parked. If it's gonna be like that before you even take off, what's it gonna be like trying to stop when you land? Anyway, ever since I moulted I gave up flying.