Too Freak'en cold

Sounds like it coulda been my ex-wife. She called me at work early one January morning... she had an accident. Smashed in the right rear door of her car on the _rear_bumper_ of the guy ahead of her. Think about that one for a moment.
She's sliding sideways... and still going fast enough to catch up with, and collide with, the guy ahead.
"Ummm... just how fast were you going?"
"Not very fast, only about 30."
THIRTY??? I drove that same stretch only twenty minutes before she did, and it was so slick that I deemed it unsafe above FIVE. Wet black ice. And she's driving thirty.
Two years later, she bashed in the right rear corner of her car on a highway guardrail... in the median.
SWMBO 2.0 has been driving for almost thirty years, with zero accidents and zero tickets.
--
Regards,
✖
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 03:59:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

With a spinning prop, the plane will actually start to move, and in some cases pick up decent speed, even though the brakes were never released. <G>
Add pictures here
✖
Sun, Feb 4, 2007, 12:17pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B A R R Y) doth sayeth: With a spinning prop, the plane will actually start to move, and in some cases pick up decent speed, even though the brakes were never released. <G>
On days like that I'd leave the plane parked. If it's gonna be like that before you even take off, what's it gonna be like trying to stop when you land? Anyway, ever since I moulted I gave up flying.
JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily. - Johann Von Schiller
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 07:51:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I just left the plane parked today. Got to it ~ 9AM to find a 17 degree temp, 15-20 knot winds, and 2 inches of crusted ice on it. We were going to shoot some practice instrument approaches to Providence and New Bedford, then head out to Provincetown for scallops at Clem & Ursies.
I decided it was just too cold to stand out there and defrost it. <G>
FWIW, the really slippery ice is usually only in the parking areas where there's freeze and refreeze cycles. The airport maintainers do a nice job on the runways and taxiways. I'm not icing equipped, so I don't fly while it's accumulating. It's just a funny surprise when the fan starts up and you start to slide along.
Add pictures here
✖
Stoutman wrote:

door separating them. When we first moved here (SoCal mountains) I had a portable electric heater that I would put on the workbench. The glue bottle had a place in front of it and I tried to do as much assembly work there as possible. Then, hallelujah, I saw the light and got a Reznor gas heater. Zero dF outside, 60dF inside. I get all excited just thinking about it.     weirdly,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
✖

Ditto ... although it's probably warm here by comparison (low 50's in the sun). I did some "CAD woodworking" this morning (better than nothing) then went out twice, but the residual cold in the shop from the 30's last night just made it too uncomfortable to stay long.
Managed to put down a few layout marks before I quit and came back in to warm myself up with an eternal wRec argument, or two ... can't wait for those productive high 90's again! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07
wrote in message

LOL... I have been "going to work" out in the shop all week. Had good intentions of doing it today and yet I sit here typing with cold hands.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon" wrote in message

I managed to get about four hours shop time in yesterday despite being a bit too chilly for my taste.
Cutting panels too long for the shop to size, but finding a way ... you _can_ cut 61" long x 17" wide panels, to width, on a UniGuard equipped Unisaw, with a BIG panel sled, a couple of screws, and a whole lotta 'no-other-choice'.
Then, standing on a ladder looking/feeling like an Eskimo on a popsicle stick, to use the Leigh D4 jig (which was stacked atop a tottering, throw-up tower) to cut 'through dovetails' in four ends of those same 61" long panels.
... nice to be making sawdust on your own account for a change, even if it was full of chilly challenges. :)
Supposed to be 60 and sunny tomorrow ... perfect shop weather!
... and it figures that I have to hold an open house!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/02/07

Low 50s? That's T-shirt weather! We've got a low temp (not windchill) of -21*F tonight.
Still pretty comfy in the basement shop, though.

See, now high 90s are when I can't get anything useful done.
Add pictures here
✖

I have a heater, but still won't be out in the shop for the next week or so. The heater is not enough once it gets below about 20F and after tomorrow, it will not get that high al week.
Add pictures here
✖
28 degrees here just north of NYC, basement shop maybe 10 degrees warmer. Quartz heater on. I see your cold front's heading this way. I have a huge box full of unsorted fasteners that I think I'll be sorting -- in front of the fireplace in the living room! -- tomorrow. :-)
J.
Stoutman wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
############################################ well. . . .. it got down in the low 60s here (Oahu) which is chilly to me when you realize we don't have heat in the house. I DO turn on the de-humidifier, which throws off a little heat. I left northern Ind. 50 or so yrs. ago just to escape those damnable cold winters. Only return to visit summers ! Aloha, Smitty

Add pictures here
✖
On 3 Feb 2007 13:53:03 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

60F in Hawaii? What is the world coming to? ;)
It must be global warming.
Add pictures here
✖

Remember the recent thread discussing the pros and cons of a basement workshop?
*My* shop is toasty warm today... and every day...
--
Regards,
✖
Stoutman wrote:

Uphill both ways. In a light jacket. Wearing shorts. Carrying books. With holes in my socks. Pulling my two brothers on a sled. Without runners. One time my tongue stuck to my teeth.
Add pictures here
✖

You forgot about the part where all you had for breakfast was sawdust.
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

... and "Too poor to pay attention" and "we lived so far back in the woods we had to head towards town to hunt."
Add pictures here
✖
... snip

I think that one belongs, as an excuse, in another thread in progress. ;-)
✖
Sat, Feb 3, 2007, 2:53pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@ranch.mx (Dude) doth claimeth: When I was a kid, I had to walk 5 miles to school and home in the snow! Uphill both ways. In a light jacket. Wearing shorts. Carrying books. With holes in my socks. Pulling my two brothers on a sled. Without runners. One time my tongue stuck to my teeth.
Yeah, right. I've heard probably all of those. Way back until we moved just before I got in the 7th grade. We lived on a dead-end street, insid of town limits. Which made me, and the neighbor kids, ineligible to get bus rides. So we all had a nice half mile one-way walk to school, starting in fhe first grade (no kindergarten back then) until we moved. Rain, sun, snow, whatever, we walked both ways. Nowadays that'd probably be considered cruel and inhumane. Back then no one thought anything of it. How times have changed. This was in Michigan, so you know we got snow. When we moved I was on a school bus route. I thought I was squattin' in tall cotten then.