Too Freak'en cold

Page 1 of 4
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project. I didn't last to long in the cold woodshop.
Need a heater!
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Thank you. I used Microsoft's FrontPage to make and publish my website.
Propane heaters, that's what I need!
-Congratulations on the promotion!

Re: Subject
Found it necessary to return to Northern Ohio last week.
As I stepped off the plane and my senses got hit with 17F weather, I remembered why I left.
During my stay, night time temps of 0F and wind chills of -10F were common along with 12"-15" of snow in the "Snow Belt", east of Cleveland.
Oh well, at least the ground hog didn't see his shadow.
Maybe it will be warmer my next trip back.
Lew

I have a nephew in that area, near Cleveland, on temporary assignment for a couple of years. Home for him is just east of Tuscon, AZ. He's freezing hisself pretty good right about now.
Patriarch
Not sure where you are but here in central Wisc. we might get above zero.... next week....for a high. Wifey loves when I get up at 6 to start wood fire and.lug in the clamped and glued pieces to cure in house . Wood stove and an electric heater still takes 2 hours to get up to 60 Gotta love this global warming.

Here in Chicago it is the same, heavily blowing winds with a wind chill of -15 at 2pm. It is so cold my kerosene heater is not working so no woodworking done today. They said sometime next week we should be in the single digits, but then I big warmup to the 20's next weekend. WOO HOO!
Jon

Yep, same here, just west of Austin, Tx. Might get to 60 today, sun's out, light wind out of the South......
Went out to do some woodworking on my bed project.&nbsp; I didn't last to long <BR>&gt;&gt; in the cold woodshop.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; Need a heater!<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt; -- <BR>&gt;&gt; Stoutman<BR>&gt;&gt; <A href="http://www.garagewoodworks.com ">www.garagewoodworks.com</A><BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
I hear ya! I've got a fire built, and a radiant kero going. The combo couldn't keep the shop much above 50 deg. so I broke out the kero torpedo which kicks on occasionally to maintain 60 deg so I can finish a glue up. Geez, it's gonna cost $10 to heat the place today and today is supposed to be the "warmest" day for the next few. --dave

TB II is good to 55 TB III is good to 45
Round about december I switch to TB III, basement shop stays about 50.
-Leuf

T88 epoxy is good to 35. GE silicone (the original nonpaintable kind) is good down into the negative numbers, but it's not all that great an adhesive.
"Leuf" wrote in message

TB Extend is good to 40
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/02/07
Swingman wrote:
> TB Extend is good to 40
Maybe it is, but I'm not.
Anything below 65F, screw it.
Lew
On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 00:26:30 GMT, Lew Hodgett

My basement shop never gets above 65 even in the summer. 60 can actually be pretty nice, especially if you are doing anything like hand planing where you're going to work up a sweat. I'll have to go down to a t-shirt to be comfortable.
55 is about my threshold for being comfortable with a reasonable amount of layers.
Low 50s are doable, but the first half hour is pretty bad. Once I get used to it and get focused on the work I don't really notice it anymore. It's an encouragement to not stand around doing nothing.
-Leuf

I've had to use both the block heater and the propane preheater before flying this weekend. Love that Toyota 120v outlet in the pickup bed!
Picture blow drying your car with dust collection hose and hot air before you can leave the driveway. While you're at it, picture your car sliding across an icy driveway, with the brakes totally locked, just because the engine is idling. <G>
We've been on a hangar waiting list for 2 1/2 years.
At least there's no snow banks to grab the wingtips...
B A R R Y wrote:
> We've been on a hangar waiting list for 2 1/2 years.
Thought marinas were the only ones who pulled that trick.
Live & learn.
Lew
Sat, Feb 3, 2007, 11:51pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (BARRY) doth sayeth: <snip> picture your car sliding across an icy driveway, with the brakes totally locked, just because the engine is idling. <G> <snip>
When I was a kid we used to go on slick country roads and play alot. Packed snow on dirt roade, with cars. Funny thing. We learned a car with locked brakes won't stop - we never went terribly fast - but if you tapped the brakes as fast a you could, you could usually stop a sliding car. Don't push hard tho, tap just hard enough to put pressure, release, repeat. We used to pull sleds behine the car, and did a LOT of sledding.
JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily. - Johann Von Schiller
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in
*trim*

It's worth the time and effort to go out in bad weather and "play." Some of the stuff I learned saved me from getting into worse situations than I was already in. It may have even prevented an accident or two.
There's nothing like being on the interstate and knowing you're still on the road but not knowing WHERE on the road you are... and some nuts have the gall to go 30 and 40 mph?
Puckdropper

Sun, Feb 4, 2007, 9:20am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: <snip> There's nothing like being on the interstate and knowing you're still on the road but not knowing WHERE on the road you are... and some nuts have the gall to go 30 and 40 mph?
Many years back, coming back from deer hunting. Road was packed snot, slick, but no problem if you kept it to about 30 MPH or so. Stopped along side the road to halp push a car out of the ditch. Maybe a dozen cas stopped. Plenty of room to get thru. Road was straight and level for a couple of miles behind us, and level a good half mile in front. Cars coming would just slow downto about 15 MPH, no prob. One car came down the hill, maybe 40 MPH. Kept coming. Then maybe 300 yards or more put on the brakes to slow up to go thru the cars. Brakes locked, of course. Let off the brakes? No way. And, of course, with the brakes locked, no matter which way you turn the wheel, the car is not going to go any way but straight. So the driver proceeded to slowly lose speed all that way, and eventually slammed right into one of the cars parked off the pavement at the great speed of about 5 MPH, brakes still locked. What a maroon.
You want nuts in the winter snows. Visit northern Virginia. Get a skim of sow coming down and Ft lee would close down. Get a skim of snow blowing across the highways, not of it sticking at all, and the local drivers, the ones that were "daring" enough to get out in the snow storm were doing about 15 MPH, with chains on. Hell, I never have even owned a set of snow tires, let alone chains.
JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily. - Johann Von Schiller
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 07:48:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Moved to Atlanta from Ohio. Was a major ice storm one day. GF calls from work, can't get home. Drove around block to check road condition. Put chains on (which had never been removed from the trunk after moving south) mainly so that had brakes that worked (remember, Atlanta--no plows, no salt trucks, no sand, just bare glare ice until it gets enough old fashioned _dirt_ on it to have traction or decides to melt). Stopped at four-way stop sign at top of hill. Noted "bridge out" sign pointing to bridge at bottom of hill. Watched six cars slide through stop sign, down hill, and land in creek. Noted all drivers out and shouting at each other, decided didn't need my help, went on and picked up GF.