Tongue n Groove bits

Page 3 of 3
On 1/11/2016 8:04 AM, Brewster wrote:

3D blocks cutting boards would seem to certainly be a challenge to glue up and clamp.
Oddly the 3D 1/4" thick diamonds and triangles in my boxes were relatively simple to cut accurately. The plans called for diamonds and what appeared to be diamonds for the sides of the boxes. The 3D box sides were actually parallelograms, only the tops of the 3D box sides were actually diamond shaped. I changed all of that so that all pieces were or originated from diamonds, all sides equal length.
The rounding over of all sides of the 272 pieces was time consuming as was sanding those round overs. And then there was the 3 coats of finish on those pieces and rebuffing after that.
When you consider some of those pieces are slightly bigger than your thumb nail you can understand the intensity involved.

I thought so. ;~) Looks great and that was the look I was going for except I was going to round over all those pieces instead of using a darker contrasting wood to mimic shadows.

On 1/11/16 7:56 AM, Leon wrote:

I found a big part of doing these kind of thing is figuring out the base shape or sub-unit piece. My 3D used trapezoids formed into triangles.
Fun stuff to make and I can tell you were thinking at least a little bit about "what the heck am I doing?" since you counted the pieces 8^)
People who do all that fancy inlay and parquetry have the ultimate in patience.
-BR
On 1/12/2016 7:42 AM, Brewster wrote:

More than once. LOL
I built "1" box 5~6 years ago and had forgotten about all of the steps. The first time, using the incorrect information, I spent a lot of time sneaking up on the cuts so it would all fit together.

Absolutely!

On 1/9/2016 6:47 PM, Brewster wrote:

"Stiles" ...
I originally drew it up that way as an idea (this was pre-Sketchup days), with the deliberate intent to mimic the "arch and flats" ("feet") on the very bottom rail the cabinet sits on, which it does.
It did cross my mind at the time that the fact that the bottom doors don't have that detail is not unusual, where bottom cabinet doors and drawer fronts don't always match an "eyebrow" detail in the doors of upper cabinets.
It became a non issue when Linda loved it, and, since I made the cabinet for her for an anniversary present, it stayed that way.
FWIW, Just mentioned the discussion to Linda, particularly the "sad" look. Her immediate remark, without hesitation:
"For Christ's sake, that's the biggest thing that makes me happy when I look at it!!".
... only she didn't say "Christ" ... but it was plural. ;)
Nuff said ... we're all outvoted. LOL
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/10/16 11:42 AM, Swingman wrote:

+1
-BR

My (limited) experience with Sommerfeld was not good. I bought a panel raising set from them, and the panel raiser had evidently been dropped before being packed, as one of the wings was bent. Sommerfeld was reluctant to exchange it, which is not the sign of a company that's trying provide a quality product. Worse, while the replacement panel raiser was fine, the cope and stick bits were nowhere close to being sharp.
Granted, that's only a sample size of one, but it was bad enough that I have never been tempted to buy from Sommerfeld again.
John
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 2:29:05 PM UTC-6, OFWW wrote:

Mine, too! Sometimes I assume some construction "things" are common sense. This whole thread, for me, has detailed info, such that it's like direct hands-on guidance. I don't build too many cabinets, however, the info in t his thread is something I needed, also.
Sonny

I've saved them in my notes. Invaluable information, all of it. Much of it not spoken of in video's or self help stuff.
On 1/8/2016 12:44 PM, OFWW wrote:

Much

procedure before, but are self professed experts because they did it while making the video.
Most of the stuff on video's is common sense. What they don't cover is what those of us that do this over and over and over have learned from actual repeated experience.

I'd have to agree with that, although I have run across a few yokels who make me shudder watching their sloppiness, and poor excuses. It's like they have no real pride in their work and just make stuff to throw quickly into peoples homes.

Or they are on a sales pitch for tools.
I had a lot of unanswered questions more than answered here, and I appreciate them all from everyone.
On 1/9/2016 1:29 PM, OFWW wrote:

Participation waxes and wanes, but still lots of well informed folks here, and to help with those questions is why most of them are here.