Tommy's New Tool/Toy

I will try this again. I posted it in the wrong newsgroup;
I was watching This Old House today. Tommy Silva always has the newest tools and toys.
He had this fence for his sliding miter saw. It had an electronic box that allowed him to compute the fence settings. He then pushes a button and the fence stop rolls on some kind of track, powered by and electric motor, to the computed position.
I have no idea who makes it, how much it costs or how durable it is. But it was very nice. I can think of a few situation where that would have come in handy
Doe anybody here know anything about this new tool/toy?
I'm sure what you saw is probably the SawGear: http://www.sawgear.com /
It has been shown in Tools of the Trade and JLC. I have not used one, nor do I know anyone that has.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

I saw it... my reaction was that it un-does all the efficiencies that the framers figured out years ago... i.e., cutting one stick at a time rather than cutting the width of the unit in one cut with the blade low enough to score the layer below.
John
On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:40:46 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

Amazon has it for $2195. Regular price $2695.
Paul T.

You can guy a brand new angle iron fence, stop block and quick clamp, and SawStop table saw for that kind of dough.
Puckdropper

goodies.
On Nov 7, 9:58pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

A tool like that wouldn't even cut it in a high production environment. I think it is the answer to the question nobody asked.
Actually a tool like that is similar to the production shop I was in recently. Except theirs was hooked to a computer. I believe they enter the job number... And it knows what lengths to cut.
On 11/8/2010 11:11 AM, Robatoy wrote:

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 17:40:46 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

They seem to work great in the several videos I've seen. http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/10751/sawgear-automatic-length-measuring-for-your-miter-saw
If they didn't have a Festering price tag, I'll bet they'd sell a whole lot more of 'em. SawGear, $2,695-2,995? <thud>
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/10751/sawgear-automatic-length-measuring-for-your-miter-saw
If Festool made something like this, how much would it cost?
On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:55:00 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

$67,826.45 down and $400/mo for...
-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck
There was an 'Ask the expert' column in the paper recently where somebody wrote in to ask about something he had seen on This Old House. The expert replied that "If you saw it on This Old House, you can't afford it!"
On Nov 7, 5:40pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Those guys have the tool manufacturers lining up to give them tools. It's called "sponsorship".
Nobody ever did that for me.
Lee Michaels wrote the following:

A lot of the materials, equipment, and appliances are similarly donated for sponsorship consideration.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY