Tommy's New Tool/Toy

I will try this again. I posted it in the wrong newsgroup;

I was watching This Old House today. Tommy Silva always has the newest tools and toys.

He had this fence for his sliding miter saw. It had an electronic box that allowed him to compute the fence settings. He then pushes a button and the fence stop rolls on some kind of track, powered by and electric motor, to the computed position.

I have no idea who makes it, how much it costs or how durable it is. But it was very nice. I can think of a few situation where that would have come in handy

Doe anybody here know anything about this new tool/toy?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I'm sure what you saw is probably the SawGear:

has been shown in Tools of the Trade and JLC. I have not used one, nor do I know anyone that has.

Reply to
DanG

I saw it... my reaction was that it un-does all the efficiencies that the framers figured out years ago... i.e., cutting one stick at a time rather than cutting the width of the unit in one cut with the blade low enough to score the layer below.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Amazon has it for $2195. Regular price $2695.

Paul T.

Reply to
Paul T.

"Paul T." wrote in news:qRIBo.11453$lL3.118 @newsfe08.iad:

You can guy a brand new angle iron fence, stop block and quick clamp, and SawStop table saw for that kind of dough.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You can buy a Festool miter saw for that kind of dough. Or a lot of other goodies.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

A tool like that wouldn't even cut it in a high production environment. I think it is the answer to the question nobody asked.

Reply to
Robatoy

They seem to work great in the several videos I've seen.

they didn't have a Festering price tag, I'll bet they'd sell a whole lot more of 'em. SawGear, $2,695-2,995?

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There was an 'Ask the expert' column in the paper recently where somebody wrote in to ask about something he had seen on This Old House. The expert replied that "If you saw it on This Old House, you can't afford it!"

Reply to
Pistol_Pete

"Pistol_Pete" wrote

How true.

Those guys have the tool manufacturers lining up to give them tools. It's called "sponsorship".

Nobody ever did that for me.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Larry Jaques" wrote

> If they didn't have a Festering price tag, I'll bet they'd sell a

Which raises an interesting point.

If Festool made something like this, how much would it cost?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

>>> If they didn't have a Festering price tag, I'll bet they'd sell a

$67,826.45 down and $400/mo for...

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lee Michaels wrote the following:

A lot of the materials, equipment, and appliances are similarly donated for sponsorship consideration.

Reply to
willshak

Reply to
tiredofspam