TOH Article in Today's Paper

Page 2 of 2
I watched TOH from the beginning, Laughed at Bob touching everything and "helping out". I loved to watch Norm do his thing. Laughed at Steve touching everything and "helping out." Loved to watch Norm & Tommy do their thing. This new guy? What's his name? Irritates me because Norm should be the shows host. 25 years? Sheesh what's a guy gotta do? Hopefully it was offered to him (along with ATOH) and he turned them down. Keep the NYW going Norm. Piss on TOH.

I read an article years ago about Bob Vila and TOH. He "acts" like he does not know much of what is going on so that he can ask questions that a typical home owner might ask. IIRC originally he was doing this type work on his own and was approached to do TV. I suspect that they did not want to put a know it all in his place so that the theme would carry on. Unfortunately the show now helps the stupidly rich spend their money.
I lost interest when they hired a banker to be a ww'g host.
Can't stomach the new host (2 years ago) of Victory Garden either. A little too - light in the loafers. Go ahead - call me a homophobe.

I think the show reached a low point a few months ago when they renovated a house in Bermuda (or was it the Bahamas?) for the owner of a Bed and Breakfast.
Norm and company running around in Bermuda shorts, knee socks and blazer was a sight to behold. Not!
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wgoffeney/Woodworking/Woodworking.htm

I've been gettting TOH magazine for a couple of years since we are planning a kitchen (now enroaching on living-room and family area) remodel. This past month was their 25'th anniversary edition and included some of the top 25 best changes to home building over the past 25 years. They also had a few comments of trends they found not so good. In grand irony bordering on high elitism, one of the "bad" trends was the rise of the "McMansion" with a few elitist comments about how these 6000 sf homes were rising over the "graves" of older large homes. The message seemed to be, "these homes we remodel that are in the millions are meant for the worthy and deserving, don't even imagine that the likes of *you* should aspire to such large digs."

To me a McMansion is a 5,000SF house on a 10,000SF lot built of gyp board and T1-11. Not a multi-million $ house.
-J
J wrote:

The problem is that in some parts of the country multimillion dollar houses are not multimillion dollar houses, they're cheap crap houses tastelessly done in a good location.

--
--John