Today's Most Annoying Question

You know how sometimes you go along with your wife's desire to buy something for the house because it doesn't matter that much to you, and it's easier to just get it over with? A year ago, against my better judgement, I said "Yeah...ok" when my S.O. fell in love with a bedroom set from (forgive me) Value City Furniture. Whoever designed this stuff (in China) should have a car battery clipped to his nuts, while his face is introduced to a belt sander. But, I digress. They were out of the nightstands when we purchased the other things, and life being what it is, we sort of put off buying them. Now, we find that the only matching one they offer is way too big. I've found a few that match nicely (in style) at an unfinished furniture store. But, the finish on the existing stuff is sort of wacky, and I think it's gonna take a lot of experimenting to get it right.
The people at the store don't sound very confident with their stain recommendations. I hate buying cans of stuff when there's an 80% chance it'll go unused. Is there a stain manufacturer that'll sell small sample tubes or some such thing?
What a pain....I should be fishing. Grrrrrrrr......
Doug Kanter wrote:

Don't even bother, if its from Value City it will fall apart before you even get the time to stain it. I learned that lesson the hard way, I'm sitting here with springs from the value city couch poking me in the back.

set
is,
is
even
I know. The GF suggested we visit the store again for living room stuff. I politely demurred. Translation: We didn't speak for the rest of the day.
<snip>

My local hardware store has sample packs of Varathane stain products, about the size of fast food ketchup packs. He gets $.50 each for them...
Patriarch

something
them.
I've seen a display of small packets of stain for just this purpose at one of the large local stores (Menards). I don't seem to recall which manufacturer it was (maybe Minwax?), but I can tell you that they're out there.
todd
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:34:35 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
My neighborhood home depot had little cans for samples of fence stains.. they were free and very handy in being able to test them and choose which would look best..
Bottom line: If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy... cowboy up and do whatever it takes, dude...

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:34:35 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Thanks for the visual! <G>
Barry

Yeah, well you should see what passes for drawer slides in VCF furniture. Unbelievable.

I can't believe anyone would do that to a small child. ;)

Makes ya wonder.
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2 /

Anyone who buys this stuff, or the like from Ikea or one of the oak furnature emporiums "...should have a car battery clipped to his nuts, while his face is introduced to a belt sander..."
Isn't there already enough visual pollution in the world?
Jay

Pick a locally owned paint store and take some wood scraps in there. They will be happy to make some samples for you. If you don't have any scraps of the wood in question, take a drawer in. there are hidden spots on the drawer that stain samples can be applied to.
I worked in our family paint store for 14 years and have spent countless hours matching stain for customers.
Roger

something
them.