Today's Hint - Don't do things like this

I did that, except for me step 3 was "throw away brand new, now useless, Klein Lineman's pliers". You'd think that a pair of Klein lineman's pliers would handle something like this, but then I guess any lineman would probably wouldn't have been dumb enough to do that...

Reply to
Tim and Stephanie

Sorry to hear that you tossed them. Especially after you went to the trouble of making a custom wire stripper accessory in them.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

==============================

When you think about it, the house AC input line is usually capable of 200 amps or more. When you cut into the conductors, you're putting 24,000 Watts or more into about a 3-5 mm chunk of steel until the 20 Amp fuse, or circuit breaker, for the circuit you're plugged into blows. That's enough to light

240, or more, 100W light bulbs. No wonder it burns a chunk out of your pliers. BTW, I did the same thing after my coworker assured me the breaker was OFF!! {:-()

Ken Moon Webberville, TX

Reply to
Ken Moon

I have no proof this is a true story, but it was told to me by a choir member at rehearsal Wed. night . . . He says he was @ the Vet's hospital in Pittsburgh earlier in the week, and saw a guy in a neck collar AND a full torso cast. "Were you in an accident?" "No, I have a problem with my neck. Sometimes when I turn my head, something happens and I pass out." "That explains the neck brace, but why the full torso cast?" "I was working in my shop, cutting wood on the table saw, when I turned my head, passed out, and fell ON the saw."

He didn't carry the conversation any further.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

No idea. I think I've got the pieces somewhere, anyway to tell by filing scraping or burning? Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Believe it or not the way we determine glass vs. plastic is to tap them gently against a tooth. If the resulting sound is a bright "click" they're glass. If the sound is a dull "clack" they're plastic. Obviously if they're in pieces they weren't polycarb. I've seen polycarb lenses that have been placed in a vise and shot with a .22 caliber round at close range. The bullet distorted the lens by about an inch, but failed to penetrate. No breakage either.

Max

Reply to
Maxprop

At work I have been asked to write up Lock Out / Tag Out procedures for working on all of our various sorts of equipment.

Thanks for reminding me that all circuits should be tested before being trusted.

Bill in Detroit

Reply to
anonymous

One of the recent catalogs (LV?) had a little xmas tree light tester. Looked like an induction-powered led, but whatever... Seems a handy thing for an electrician to keep in a pocket.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis