Today's Hint - Don't do things like this

Page 6 of 7
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:22:09 -0800, "Richard L."

Where did you pick up that "unique" signature line??

Sounds like Pterry Pratchett
Colonel Andy wrote:

My daughter has it on a bumper sticker on her truck. You can get them at most Ren Faires.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

That phrase has been a 'classic' in role-playing game circles, for a *long* time.
The 'ancestor' of the phrase *is* from J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Two Towers" (part of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy) in which 'Meriadoc" says: "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
And _somebody_ decided dragons deserved 'equal time'. <grin>
Google for "dragon ketchup", to get an idea of how ubiquitous the phrase is. (over 40,000 hits, the first 10 pages or so -- as far as I looked -- are _all_ hits on minor variations of the wording *or* derivatives/expansions of the concept; e.g. a dragon having a ketchup mine :)
One source attributes it to a Dilbert comic. I wouldn't be at all surprised that Scott Adams used it, but it is *not* original to the strip -- since it was in common use 10 years _before_ the strip got started.
I know it was in vogue -- in the late '70s -- among the "Dungeons & Dragons" crowd, but imported from 'somewhere else'.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was from "Bored of the Rings", the Tolkein parody.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:22:53 +0000, Robert Bonomi wrote:

nope.
--
"The knob, Goodgulf, the knob!"

O.K. That leaves Anon., Ibid, and Op Cit. as possible authors. *snicker*
Damn! This one took on life of its own.
RonB

Or refinishing a hardwood floor, make sure the switch for the edger is off before plugging in 20 feet of extension cord (especially when you have done the finish coat on the main section of the floor, and there's 60-grit in the edger).
Moves fast.
Kevin

Did you sell tickets?? :-)
Ken Moon Weberville, TX
RonB wrote:

Don't let cut-offs pile up on your table saw, or you may knock one into the blade and have it come spinning past your head at 200 MPH. DAMHIKT.
-- Mark

I have no idea what you're talking about. You also shouldn't run your router with your head too close to the unit, because during a plunge cut, it could kick back and hit you really hard in the forehead and leave a bruise. At least that's what I read somewhere.
todd
Don't use a nail gun to work on a chicken coop without removing the chickes first.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Also, don't pick up the cuttoffs until you are absolutely sure the blade has stopped turning. It can make a hole in your finger stitches won't close.
RonB wrote:

That's amazing! Same thing happens when you reach over a bench grinder from behind to turn it off. Mostly affects little fingers.
I had set a small (3") model on the ways of the lathe while sharpening a pen trimmer because that's where the light is best (barely okay) in my 'shop' in the dungeon.During use of the attached flex shaft it had turned 180 deg. away from me. So I simply reached over it to turn it off.
When I saw the pink spray, I realized that I had probably not acted wisely.
No I didn't. I never said that. I would never do anything that stupid. Someone else must have been using my computer. Darned Commies ^h^h^h^h^h^h^h Terrorists.
Bill
Writing under a new nom-de-plume because my other computer fried its motherboard and I don't remember what name I used on it. Using the laptop at the moment.
anonymous wrote:

The scars on my left hand from a kickback "accident" in 2003 are still visible. If my left hand would have been a few inches forward the "pink spray" would have been the indication of the termination of my dreams of being a concert pianist or guitar player. As it is, I still have my fingers and fantasies.... ;-)
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

my right lens. I'm assuming this as I don't recall the impact but that's the one that was broken. Quick trip to a nearby eye doctor got all but the glass/plastic dust out. Joe romover off all offcuts

Was that the lens of your safety glasses, or the lens of your prescription eyeglasses?
Doug Miller wrote:

to the optometrist who sold them. I don't go there anymore. Joe

Sounds like you might want to talk to a lawyer. At the minimum, if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for the optometrist to pay for the medical treatment and a replacement pair of glasses.
Keep in mind, also, that even safety prescription glasses don't afford as much protection as safety goggles do, because the lenses are smaller. Like you, I also wear prescription eyeglasses, and goggles are often a PITA (for those who don't wear eyeglasses, if you do, goggles often make your glasses fog up, and it's easy to knock your eyeglasses askew when taking the goggles on and off).
About five years ago, I switched to using a face shield, and I'll never go back to goggles. The face shield never fogs up, and I've never bumped my eyeglasses with it, even once. It's so easy, and so quick, to put on, that I use it *far* more than I ever used goggles, which increases the safety factor that much more. Another bonus: there are other things on your face, besides your eyes, that deserve protection: how'd you like to have a table saw or a lathe throw a chunk of wood into your teeth?
The only disadvantage I've seen to the face shield so far is that you have to remember to flip it up when you feel a sneeze coming on....
I bet The dentist would love it.