Today's Hint - Don't do things like this

I have no idea what you're talking about. You also shouldn't run your router with your head too close to the unit, because during a plunge cut, it could kick back and hit you really hard in the forehead and leave a bruise. At least that's what I read somewhere.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Ever spliced an extension cord to make it longer. Here's how:

1) carefully uplug the drill from the end 2) get pocket knife 3) admire new hole in pocket knife blade 4) unplug remainder of cord 5) reset breaker
Reply to
My Old Tools

... snip

You may be the only one that has metal clip on the side of your DP. I know my Jet has nothing of the sort.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Nope, just buy the proper key.

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" My DP key is spring loaded, so that it pushes itself out of the chuck.

Reply to
George

Also, don't pick up the cuttoffs until you are absolutely sure the blade has stopped turning. It can make a hole in your finger stitches won't close.

Reply to
RonB

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:00:20 GMT, patriarch calmly ranted:

The very first thing I did was remove that damned spring. It's hard enough keeping the key in the chuck without adding 10lbs of lateral force working against you. I'll bet they sell more chucks and keys from that OSHA-approved CF.

Keeeeriste. What moron thought THAT one up?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Huh?

Sorry to hear that you're follically challenged.

-- Chuck *#:^) chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com Anti-spam sig: please remove "NO SPAM" from e-mail address to reply. <

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Reply to
Chuck

Reply to
Mapdude

Thank-you for that comment, I was beginning to think that I'm the only one who despises those things. This is particularly true for the mortising machine, where one is trying to insert the outer chisel, hold the inner bit at the correct depth setting and trying to turn a [blasted] spring-loaded chuck key with one's third hand.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That's amazing! Same thing happens when you reach over a bench grinder from behind to turn it off. Mostly affects little fingers.

I had set a small (3") model on the ways of the lathe while sharpening a pen trimmer because that's where the light is best (barely okay) in my 'shop' in the dungeon.During use of the attached flex shaft it had turned 180 deg. away from me. So I simply reached over it to turn it off.

When I saw the pink spray, I realized that I had probably not acted wisely.

No I didn't. I never said that. I would never do anything that stupid. Someone else must have been using my computer. Darned Commies ^h^h^h^h^h^h^h Terrorists.

Bill

Writing under a new nom-de-plume because my other computer fried its motherboard and I don't remember what name I used on it. Using the laptop at the moment.

Reply to
anonymous

The scars on my left hand from a kickback "accident" in 2003 are still visible. If my left hand would have been a few inches forward the "pink spray" would have been the indication of the termination of my dreams of being a concert pianist or guitar player. As it is, I still have my fingers and fantasies.... ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

"Larry Jaques" wrote

: ............... You obviously haven't had the chuck key remain in : the chuck when you accidentally started it and had the : string wind around the shaft to the point you had to : dismantle the thing to get it off. (Luckily, no, I've just : read about it so this isn't a DAMHIKT.

Some years ago, an incident occurred in an English school wherein a youngster was operating a wire-tethered chuck key when a 'helper' switched on the drill.

The result was a finger amputation.

Jeff G

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Oh, I've got a phone in the shop. The ringer is disabled so that I don't get startled when working with whirling blades. But if I ever do manage to hurt myself past the, "well, that was stupid" point, I want to be able to dial 911.

Bill

Reply to
Bill McNutt

I heard that differently.

I heard that the scots regiments took fewer casualties from mustard gas because of the argyle socks, which, because they are 100% wood with lanoline, were resistant to the gas.

Mind you, I'm not sure I buy that. But it makes a good story.

Here are two that you CAN look up, though.

The scots DID, in fact wear thier kilts into battle during WWI.

They fought so fiercely that thier German opponents honored them with the epithet: The Ladies from Hell.

(Scroll down to 20th century wars)

Hmmm. No woodworking in this post.

Next week I'm donning costume and taking my antique hand tools up to Kentucky to spend the entire day demonstrating medieval woodworking techniques to middle-school and high-school students. I hope that out of the 500 or so that see me, one might be inspired to persue the making of sawdust.

Scottish by heritage, American by the Grace of God,

Bill

Reply to
Bill McNutt

It should also be low enough to reach from the floor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Remember that "Onion" photo of a flaming house, captioned "Heroic pet turtle dials most of 9-1-1"?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

You're very sure it wasn't the Immigration and Naturalization Service?

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Sure would "enhance" the experience, though *G*

Reply to
Leif Thorvaldson

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:47:08 -0000, "Jeff Gorman" calmly ranted:

That's a definite OUCH! alright.

I found a trick my new magnet can play today. I stuck the chuck key on end and it stayed in position, with the T attached to the magnet and the key hanging down! Those little rare earth magnets are S T R O N G !

(What? Oh, yes. I _am_ easily amused.)

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Where did you pick up that "unique" signature line??

Reply to
Colonel Andy