Today's Hint - Don't do things like this

Page 5 of 7
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:34:12 GMT, "Mike Marlow"

Brother, you should take a read of The Book....
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:34:12 +0000, Mike Marlow wrote:

Philistine.
:)
They carry things that are normally difficult to source locally in many places. It's not high end stuff by any stretch, but it's available and fairly priced. Try buying rare earth magnets at Home Depot.
Mike Marlow wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:15:33 -0500, Larry Levinson wrote:

Piece of 1/2" leather strap, riveted loop to hang on a hook, slits to hold the key. Almost string.
--
"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:15:33 -0500, Larry Levinson

Yes. Next question, please.
P.S: You obviously haven't had the chuck key remain in the chuck when you accidentally started it and had the string wind around the shaft to the point you had to dismantle the thing to get it off. (Luckily, no, I've just read about it so this isn't a DAMHIKT. I have, however, had an unstrung chuck key jump at my chest and could have sworn I heard a "Hey, you forgot to take me out. Wheeeeeeeeeee!" as it did.)
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
: ............... You obviously haven't had the chuck key remain in : the chuck when you accidentally started it and had the : string wind around the shaft to the point you had to : dismantle the thing to get it off. (Luckily, no, I've just : read about it so this isn't a DAMHIKT.
Some years ago, an incident occurred in an English school wherein a youngster was operating a wire-tethered chuck key when a 'helper' switched on the drill.
The result was a finger amputation.
Jeff G
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email: username is amgron

That's a definite OUCH! alright.
I found a trick my new magnet can play today. I stuck the chuck key on end and it stayed in position, with the T attached to the magnet and the key hanging down! Those little rare earth magnets are S T R O N G !
(What? Oh, yes. I _am_ easily amused.)
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Am I the only one that uses the metal clip on the side of the DP?
Wayne

My DP doesn't have one, hence the magnet. My benchtop mortiser does, though, and that's where its chuck key lives.
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:43:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I'm actually surprised that no manufacturer has made a DP where the chuck key has to be inserted into the on/off switch in order to turn it on. It seems like the kind of idea that OSHA would love.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote...

Of course, then you'd finally get round to replacing the original chuck with a good keyless one. (G)
Jim

My DP key is spring loaded, so that it pushes itself out of the chuck.
Of course, to get this neat safety feature, I had to give up 'old iron' quality and soul, and buy a new tool, made in Asia.
Patriarch
Nope, just buy the proper key.

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:00:20 GMT, patriarch

The very first thing I did was remove that damned spring. It's hard enough keeping the key in the chuck without adding 10lbs of lateral force working against you. I'll bet they sell more chucks and keys from that OSHA-approved CF.
Keeeeriste. What moron thought THAT one up?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 06:15:05 -0800, Larry Jaques

Thank-you for that comment, I was beginning to think that I'm the only one who despises those things. This is particularly true for the mortising machine, where one is trying to insert the outer chisel, hold the inner bit at the correct depth setting and trying to turn a [blasted] spring-loaded chuck key with one's third hand.
Tim Douglass wrote:

Aaaaarrggghhhhhh!!! Don't give 'em any more ideas!
<g>
-- Mark
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:56:21 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

... snip

You may be the only one that has metal clip on the side of your DP. I know my Jet has nothing of the sort.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

I like what ToolKraft did with my DP. The long handle of the key plugs into the motor housing for storage - and if the key hasn't been stored, then the DP can't be turned on.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
wrote:

    I picked up a spring-loaded chain (looks kind of like a small tape measure) that clips to one's belt/waistband, to hold keys handily. I mounted it inside the belt housing on my press with an "L" bracket, and, after pulling the chain through a hole drilled in the bottom of the housing, hooked the chuck key to it. Now..It is hanging handily out of the way, and, having the chain attached to it makes it unlikely that it will get left in the chuck by accident. The spring-loading, while strong enough to retract the chuck if I let go of it, does not make it a struggle to use the chuck.     Regards     Dave Mundt
Dave Mundt wrote:

My DP has the same thing and it works great. But it's not my idea -- it came that way. I got my Jet from a woodworker who got married and developed other hobbies. ;-)
-- Mark