Today's Hint - Don't do things like this

Page 4 of 7
Tim and Stephanie wrote:

Sorry to hear that you tossed them. Especially after you went to the trouble of making a custom wire stripper accessory in them.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

============================= When you think about it, the house AC input line is usually capable of 200 amps or more. When you cut into the conductors, you're putting 24,000 Watts or more into about a 3-5 mm chunk of steel until the 20 Amp fuse, or circuit breaker, for the circuit you're plugged into blows. That's enough to light 240, or more, 100W light bulbs. No wonder it burns a chunk out of your pliers. BTW, I did the same thing after my coworker assured me the breaker was OFF!! {:-()
Ken Moon Webberville, TX
<snippage>
I have no proof this is a true story, but it was told to me by a choir member at rehearsal Wed. night . . . He says he was @ the Vet's hospital in Pittsburgh earlier in the week, and saw a guy in a neck collar AND a full torso cast. "Were you in an accident?" "No, I have a problem with my neck. Sometimes when I turn my head, something happens and I pass out." "That explains the neck brace, but why the full torso cast?" "I was working in my shop, cutting wood on the table saw, when I turned my head, passed out, and fell ON the saw."
He didn't carry the conversation any further.
--
Nahmie
Ken Moon wrote:

At work I have been asked to write up Lock Out / Tag Out procedures for working on all of our various sorts of equipment.
Thanks for reminding me that all circuits should be tested before being trusted.
Bill in Detroit
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:28:41 -0500, anonymous wrote:

One of the recent catalogs (LV?) had a little xmas tree light tester. Looked like an induction-powered led, but whatever... Seems a handy thing for an electrician to keep in a pocket.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

Uh, if he needs the rest of it, I have it in the garage. :(
Chuck keys left in the chuck will fly and hide forever. Don't ask!
--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
One of the first things I did at school - self-ejecting keys.

Well of course they will. After being hurt like that, they're as skittish as cats but don't need to compromise because they don't need to be fed.

lol
the solution for chuck keys, wrenches, etc is to always hold them in your hand - if you don't let go until it's removed from the tool, you won't start the tool with the wrench attached. (works for me)
the one that is harmless but always makes me jump is when I'm changing sandpaper on a jitterbug with the air pressure still on and it starts up on me....

be

That's only half the solution. The other half is to make sure you put it down in the same place every time, so you know where it is the next time you need it.
They make these nifty things for less than a buck which allow you to connect the key to a cord. Or not, which I guess is why they're International Orange.
wrote:

start
down
need

Not always practical on a drill press, though. I've never had problems losing the chuck keys for my portable drills, but I had a hard time keeping track of the drill press key until I bought one of these:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page. asp?SID=&ccurrency=2&pageA734&category=1,42363,42356
My press is close enough to the outlet that I can strap it to the cord. It's also a self-ejector.
Didn't plan it, just worked out that way. Also has a hole in the rear of the table designed to put the longer arm of the handle in.
wrote:

connect
losing
of
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:07:15 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Use a key with a spring loaded center pin which pops the key out if you let go. I store the key on the right side of the belt housing with one of those dime diameter rare earth magnets. The key _won't_ fall off on its own.
-Doug
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:27:03 -0700, Doug Winterburn

I just jumped up and ran out to the shop, placing a dime diameter RE magnets on the face of my drill press, then affixing the chuck key to it. You're right, it will NOT get away on its own.
Thanks for the reminder, Doug.
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:59:46 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Make sure your DP is bolted down so you don't yank it over when pulling the key of the RE magnet ;-)
-Doug
Put one on the bandsaw to hold the appropriate allen wrench (and the table alignment pin when changing blades), also the ones for adjusting the table on the disc sander etc.

it.
DP chuck key and rare earth magnets? bright orange holders? buying stuff from lee valley? am I the only person in the universe still using a piece of string?

Larry Levinson Talking up to the vocal ... LLevinson*Bloomberg.net (remove the star etc ....)

Nope. But we may be a couple of only a few. Sometimes it amazes me to read the fascination with anything Lee Valley here. I've never purchased from them, and I'm sure they have some very good stuff, as well, they seem to have an excellent reputation, but they also seem to have an almost cult like following. Seems just about anything that comes from them will at some point become a recommended item. Someday I'm going to have to check this place out...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com