Today's better: got the dovetail bit to stay put when routing

I cinched it up good this time, after cleaning off any oily residue on the shank and inside the collet. Proceeded to route all the dovetails and NO PROBLEMO! I checked with a gauge block after finishing all of them and found the bit to be precisely the same height as when I started. Valuable lesson learned; don't be afraid to tighten the collets! (Now I won't have to list my equipment on ebay)
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Dang! I was hopin' I could find some deals. Especially the "router with 1/4" bit. Only thrown against the wall twice!"
I was going to offer a few bucks for that new Powermatic bandsaw. Hate to see someone stuck with a hunk of steel .
: Bay Area Dave wrote: : : > I cinched it up good this time, after cleaning off any oily residue on : > the shank and inside the collet. Proceeded to route all the dovetails : > and NO PROBLEMO! I checked with a gauge block after finishing all of : > them and found the bit to be precisely the same height as when I : > started. Valuable lesson learned; don't be afraid to tighten the : > collets! (Now I won't have to list my equipment on ebay) : > : > dave : : : Dang! I was hopin' I could find some deals. Especially the "router : with 1/4" bit. Only thrown against the wall twice!" :
Ah, a deal I CAN refuse. Maybe I'll just hang on to it for a while longer.
dave
Bob Gramza wrote:

Not today, anyway. Check back with me in a week or two. :)
dave
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

And the credit for diagnosing the problem goes to . . .? ;)
Sometimes the source of a problem is obvious and sometimes it ain't. Always good to have another set of eyes looking at it.
charlie b
Charlie, how did it go today?
you diagnosed the problem before it even happened! I got it to work well today by getting tough with those collet wrenches. Got it all done and stained, ready to shoot the finish tomorrow.
dave
charlie b wrote:

Ignore my previous post re: crediting. First step of a tooth implant this morning and codene (sp?) muddled the brain.
Thanks to a lot of novicane AND nitrous oxide I was awake while my dontist (not dentist - dontist are far more expensive) ground a flat spot on the top surface of my lower jaw so he could drill a pilot hole for a 5 mm titanium screw with a threaded hole in it for subsequent attachment initially of a cap and later a post to which a crown will be attached. Then he freehanded the pilot hole and using the smallest socket set handle tool you can imagine, installed the self tapping titanium screw. And no, I don't know what the thread pitch is so don't ask.
Have a new appreciation for dontists. Imagine trying freehand drilling a pilot hole whose location and alignment is critical. Now imagine having to have blood suctioned out of the area and a human being's bone be the material. Now imagine that human being staring you in the face, less than a foot from your nose and he's wide awake - a little goofy but still able to grab you by the throat - or some other part of your anatomy if the novicane stops working.
Hell, I have trouble drilling holes with a freakin' drill press even with the part clampled in a vise and the vise clamped to the drill press table.
Sure am glad wood doesn't bleed, breath, move by itself or is able to grab any part of my anatomy and yell if I hurt it. OK - so it does move but the rest is still of concern.
Should be getting the digital photos of the "procedure" in a week or so. May post a few to a.b.p.w. - is wood related because I have, on occasion, been a real blockhead.
Probably time for another pill and then sleep it off
charlie b
take care, Charlie. Don't get hooked on those pills! <g>
dave