Today I buy a dust collector, maybe...

I am thinking about the Penn State DC3-1M. It is a single bag 1.5hp, with a

1mil bag. It has a 17a motor with a small impeller, so it doesn't move as much air as some of the others, but develops better pressure. I figure it will be plenty good for my one table saw, but the added pressure will be better for smaller tools with 1.25" dust ports. If the bag is not big enough, I can add one of the trash can separator, and still have adequate power and the 1mil filter. And, I save a little on shipping because of the weight.

Does this make sense? It is all so confusing. Is it as quiet as they claim?

Reply to
Toller

Toller,

I have a somewhat similar TWC DC with a 1 micron filter (top) and plastic bag on the bottom. It would clog up at the impeller guard every few minutes, so I quickly installed a trash can separator, lost a bit of suction in the process, but now the DC operates reliably until the caking gets too thick on the top bag. Emptying the trash can is a lot quicker and easier than undoing the lower bag, which rarely gets more than even 1/4 full for every 4 empties of the trash can. Just be prepared to lose a little suction by using the trash can. To me it's worth the slight drop-off.

BTW, by 1 MIL did you mean 1 MICRON?

dave

Toller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yes, I did. One mil wouldn't do much, would it.

And, I just broke down and ordered it.

Reply to
Toller

well the bag I doubt will filter down to 1 micron. the pressure you claim I doubt is anymore then any other brand if they both have the same size impellers. really the limiting factor is the bag. it will slow down more air movement then anything else. You will be disappointed in hooking it up to 1.5" hose. no dc will do much on small hose.

Reply to
Steve Knight

"Toller" wrote in news:47zzb.631$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Good for you!

Take the advice above and put a trash can separator in the line. It'll make your life much easier because it's so simple to empty the can instead of taking off and replacing the bag.

Also, get the collector OUT of your shop if you possibly can. Even though the collector bag may filter out 99% of the dust, the stuff that seeps from the bag is the worst for your health, getting deeeep into your lungs. I built a little shed next to the garage for mine and boy is it less dusty and less noisy now.

Reply to
Hitch