To X5 or not to X5???

Page 1 of 2
Greetings Wreckers, The collective opinion of this group has not let me down yet, so here I go again. I'm looking to buy a DJ 20 jointer. I thought about other brands, but have settled on a DJ 20. Amazon has the 37-350A for $1087 and the X5 version for $1599. I'm wondering if the X5 marketing ploy is worth the additional $512? I realize that it includes a base, drill, router, or $50 rebate. And the warranty is longer also. Since I'm only an occasional user for now, it won't see severe duty. But I like the long bed because I'd like to try making doors and tables one day. IIRC, Delta also threw in a bunch of coupons worth '$2000', although I have never seen anyone detail what they are good for..... I guess I'm leaning towards the non-X5, but don't want to miss out on them if they are being phased out. Same thing happened with my Unisaw, I waited too long to order it from Amazon. The day I did place the order, they stopped selling them through Amazon. Luckily, I went to a WWing show a couple weeks later and got a good deal on one of his last pre-X5 saws. As always, many thanks in advance for your help, Mark L.
I just picked up 37-350a this week for $1099. The difference between the 37-350a and the X5 other than what you pointed out are that the 350A's Body and Motor are made in the USA. With the DJ20 X5 they are now made in the PRC.
Rich

I think that alone would cinch it for me. Trying to limit my Chinese purchases when possible. Although, I'm still curious about those coupons..... Mark L.
RKON wrote:

RKON wrote:

Where did you get it for that excellent price?
Mitch Berkson
On Tue, 18 May 2004 07:39:03 -0400, "Mitch Berkson"

Rich and I got the last two available from <http://www.tools-plus.com
Barry

Try WOODWORKER'S SUPPLY (WOODWORKER.COM). They have it for $1087, but you have to pay shipping.

It wasn't for me. I recent bought the older version for $1099.
I recently purchased an X5 bandsaw, and I'm not impressed with the "Extreme Savings Book". The saw is excellent.
Barry

Then only buy the jointer. If you are also looking to buy a base, a drill, a router , or an extended warranty, the $500+ dollars extra that you are paying may be a better deal. But, are you actually wanting to buy a Delta brand drill, router, base, and extended warranty? The extra $500 is only a better deal if you need the preselected extras from Delta. Remember that you can take that $500 and buy any brand of tool you want should you decide that you also need the drill and router and base.
As for throwing in coupons, I have neveer had to pay for a coupon. Ultimately for you to benefit from these coupons you have to spend more money with Delta.
Just my 2 cents.
Leon notes:

Uh, unless they've changed things considerably, the base for the DJ-20 is kind of essential to the tool's use. I haven't seen this particular sale, though, so...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:

I'm assuming the OP meant a mobile base, not the base with the motor in it.
Brian Elfert
The OP (me) was referring to a mobile base... Sorry for the confusion. Since I pretty much will set it and forget it where it is on the floor, the mobile base isn't much of an incentive. But the one for my Uni gets use all of the time. Mark L.
Brian Elfert wrote:

A joiner without a base does seem unlikely but perhaps the OP was referring to something else.
Mark L. wrote:

The price I see on Amazon for the DJ-20 (37-350A) is $1278.00. Is there somewhere else I should be looking for the $1087 price? Thanks.
Mitch Berkson

$1278. I looked at the tech specs on Amazon for these two models, was trying to determine what differences these two machines have besides where a few components are manufactured. I can't really see anything, am I missing something? I had spoke with my local supplier in Houston this past Saturday, and he said either were good machines, but, and I may be mistaken here, I understood him to say the X-5 infeed table stayed the same stand-off from the cutterhead regardless of the amount of wood removal setting. Looking at the Amazon info, I took it that both models provide this same feature.
I'm more hesitant to find out how one Delta machine can handle being in a shop full of Jet equipment!!!

Check Delta's website. They share the same manual and parts lists.
Barry

Amazon jacked the price up recently... I was curious about the price reported here the other day and it was there.
I bought a DJ-20 last year and after the $100 rebate paid about $1211.00. Great tool! Just make sure they didn't drop it in shipping! The fluff that comes with the X doesn't justify the big price variance in my eyes. Of course I didn't need the free tools nor did I plan on buying any more big iron at that time. ;-)
John
I had read a thread about this on http://www.forums.woodnet.net last night and apparently that price did not last very long. A couple people snarf'd them up and they switched it to 1278. I would just keep checking a couple of times a day.
Rich

RKON wrote:

I don't suppose there is some sort of software which I could use to do this for me? It would check the item's price a few times a day and send me email if it falls below a threshold.
Mitch Berkson
This is the best I could do:
http://toolseeker.com/WdWkMac/Jointers/37-380.asp?var17-380
I hope you get this quick. Because Amazon has it at 1049 at 1525 EST. and woodworker supply has it for 1029 but nne on hand until 6/19.
Good Luck Rich

Thanks, but that's the 37-380, not the 37-350 (DJ-20).
Mitch