To use hide glue?

Page 2 of 2

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:33:37 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
You can use unsoaked pearl glue if you're in a hurry, it just takes about an hour's extra heating.

Substantial metal (good thermal inertia) but tinned rather than bare cast iron. Some are tinned copper, more recent ones are aluminium. If you use the common iron ones with either pale veneers or oak, there's a risk of staining.

I put the glue in a glass jar- jelly jar, peanut butter jar- whatever disposable I have at hand. if it cleans easily I'll reuse it. if not I'll pitch it.
the jar goes in a pan of water on a hotplate.
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 09:26:21 -0800, bridgerfafc wrote:

I think I saw the same "somewhere." The advice was to use plastic ice cube trays; after freezing, pop them in a baggie and keep 'em in the freezer until needed. Wish I could remember where I stashed that URL...
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

Why?

Hide glue goes bad in the bottle, stinks and is fussy to prepare, has no resistance to either heat or water.
The argument of "reversibility" is an attempt to make a virtue out of a fault. A screw is reversible, too.
The same could be said of beer.
You've either never used hide glue or don't know how to use it properly.

Beer is reversable?
Drink enough of it and it will come back up the way it went down.
Thanks to everyone for the help. I talked to a cabinet maker buddy of mine and he said go with the hide glue if I want, much as was suggested here, but that the good PVAs will do a fine job as well and are less trouble to prepare, ie no soaking, glue pot etc. I've got good PVA kicking around here so I'll dig it out and go with that for now and use the hide glue for some other project.
Thanks, john