To the group

I've been chased by those while mountain biking on Jiminy Peak.

That would have shown it, if I got it on my plate!

Reply to
B A R R Y

They can be very distracting... especially when they explode right under your wheel/feet. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

This year my wife was tired of ham and turkey, and with just the two of us. it always leaves lots of left overs. Living on the mid east coast, I have really good access to fresh seafood. I fried fresh large juicy sea scallops with sides of mashed potatoes and peas. For lunch we had soft shell crab sandwiches, These were frozen as not in season, but were really good fixed on my new panneni (SP) grill

I had thought about baking a spam with a mustard and brown sugar glaze for me, wife won't eat spam, but I let it go :) knowing what she would say about it to me LOL CC

Reply to
CC

Angela runs a heart & stroke prevention clinic at the local hospital. If I were brave enough to smuggle a tin of Hormel's finest into the house, she'd wouldn't stop me from frying up a few slabs to the point of medium brown semi-crispy perfection...... but somehow... her 'look' would make all the flavour dissipate somehow.... naaaa.. wouldn't be worth it.

*shaking my head*

How DOES she do that?

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:ebde100f-c990-4436-b16a- snipped-for-privacy@a12g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

She must love you. Wat een mazzel!

Reply to
Han

Picture the following:

You are in the North Channel (Lake Huron, Ontario), on a sailboat that is safely tied off a short dinghy ride from shore.

You have spent the evening around the campfire testing LOTS of Canada's finest.

Around midnight you return to the boat hungry.

Check out a couple of lockers and find a can of Spam and a bottle of BBQ sauce.

Slices of Spam, browned in a cast iron skillet and smothered with BBQ sauce.

You had to be there to truly appreciate the moment.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's been my experience that after spending the day on the water, anything you fix tastes wonderful Merry Christmas CC

Reply to
CC

In a similar vein, I have been known to enjoy a few of Canada's finest and then, as a late-night snack, encouraged by the herb, a slab of Maple Leaf bologna, cut from the chub, 3/4" thick, fried in a pan and affectionately known as a Newfie Steak. Just like that. No additional encoutrements required. Perhaps a quick rinse with Newfie Screech. Shit, that's more than 30 years ago...

Reply to
Robatoy

Funny how this comes up every year at this time:

Swingman

RE: Subject

For a product that gets canned in Minnesota, always wondered why the highest per capita consumption is in Hawaii?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I would think it has something to do with the high number of pigs on the islands. Both domestic and wild. And since the local folks eat a large amount of pork in their diet anyway, spam just fits right in. Spam being made from pork and all.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

It goes back to WWII when the soldiers introduced Spam to the locals. It took off from there and has been a favorite since. You can even get it in McDonalds and Burger King. They also have different varieties such as Bacon Spam and Honey Spam. The fact that it is a meat easily stored with no refrigeration helped too. In much of the Pacific, power was non-existent or unreliable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Jiminy, several of them would chase me, staying just a few feet behind. If I stopped, they'd stop. If I took a step toward them, they'd back up by exactly the same amount, as we stared eye to eye.

Very ballsy birds!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Spam is meat????

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes they are! The 11/14/08 issue of New York Outdoor News has a photo of a ruffed grouse (just realized I spelled it wrong above... not getting enough sleep these days!) sitting on a guy's nocked arrow as he was about to take a shot at a whitetail. Seems this bird would visit him in his tree stand regularly and got way to friendly!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I suspected that WWII had something to do with it, especially since Spam was a WWII developed product and Hawaii had such a large military establishment.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Soylent Green is People!!

Reply to
-MIKE-

I once read that the quality control for canned dog food is more stringent than those parameters set for Spam, Klik etc. IOW, it is okay for uncle Fred to hurl his guts out at the party, but Fluffy is safe.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:b6df6c0a-9172-4155-a6dc- snipped-for-privacy@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

IANAL, don't play one on TV, but have seen William Shatner act. It seems to me that if Uncle Fred eats bad Spam and dies, his family could sue for millions. However, if Fluffy dies, the family is entitled to whatever they paid for the dog.

It sorta makes sense from an economic standpoint... The company that makes human food wants to avoid lawsuits so they have more QC, but the company that makes dog food doesn't care, so they have less QC and have to have additional QC forced upon them by the governments.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Compared to poi, SPAM is haught cuisine!

Reply to
Maxwell Lol