To the group

Page 2 of 3
"Robatoy" wrote:

and then, as a late-night snack, encouraged by the herb, a slab of Maple Leaf bologna, cut from the chub, 3/4" thick, fried in a pan and affectionately known as a Newfie Steak. Just like that. No additional encoutrements required. Perhaps a quick rinse with Newfie Screech. Shit, that's more than 30 years ago...
What? No sauted onions with that fried bologna!
Lew

Well, when you have a date over. You're talking gourmet!
"Robatoy" wrote:

It should always be gourmet or is that gromet?<grin>
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I am a gourmand, myself.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Funny how this comes up every year at this time:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/4a3fe63cd390857e
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I would think it has something to do with the high number of pigs on the islands. Both domestic and wild. And since the local folks eat a large amount of pork in their diet anyway, spam just fits right in. Spam being made from pork and all.

It goes back to WWII when the soldiers introduced Spam to the locals. It took off from there and has been a favorite since. You can even get it in McDonalds and Burger King. They also have different varieties such as Bacon Spam and Honey Spam. The fact that it is a meat easily stored with no refrigeration helped too. In much of the Pacific, power was non-existent or unreliable.

Spam is meat????

Soylent Green is People!!
--

-MIKE-

I once read that the quality control for canned dog food is more stringent than those parameters set for Spam, Klik etc. IOW, it is okay for uncle Fred to hurl his guts out at the party, but Fluffy is safe.

IANAL, don't play one on TV, but have seen William Shatner act. It seems to me that if Uncle Fred eats bad Spam and dies, his family could sue for millions. However, if Fluffy dies, the family is entitled to whatever they paid for the dog.
It sorta makes sense from an economic standpoint... The company that makes human food wants to avoid lawsuits so they have more QC, but the company that makes dog food doesn't care, so they have less QC and have to have additional QC forced upon them by the governments.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.
On Dec 26, 3:33pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Dog food is supposed to be subject to more stringent controls.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

I suspected that WWII had something to do with it, especially since Spam was a WWII developed product and Hawaii had such a large military establishment.
Lew

Compared to poi, SPAM is haught cuisine!
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Wrap the Spam in bacon, extra grease can only help. ;-) Then do the Spam and bacon with Cheeze Whiz, in bread, and grill it with extra butter, in the remaining Spam and bacon grease.
I'll see you in the next life.
--
Froz...

Turbaconducken.
<http://bacontoday.com/turbaconducken-turducken-wrapped-in-bacon/

I'd rather have 'fast food' with roughed grouse being my preference.... ;~)
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I've been chased by those while mountain biking on Jiminy Peak.
That would have shown it, if I got it on my plate! <G>

They can be very distracting... especially when they explode right under your wheel/feet. ;~)
John