To the group

Page 1 of 3
I hope this message finds all of you getting ready for (or enjoying!) quality time with friends and family in the spirit of the holiday.
With death and illness clouding this year's celebrations, I am reminded how little time we have here with each other, and how important it is to make the most of it. So I am really "on task" this season.
I am off to fire up the smoker to get a nice ham ready for tomorrow. Can't beat a nice bone in ham shank slow smoked over oak and pecan, finished with a clove/butter/brown sugar/bourbon sauce. Should be finished early morning, about the time the coffee is ready. Turkey... too boring.
Got taters to peel for garlic/dill mashed potatoes. Lots of things to chop up for green beans with sun dried tomatoes, caramelized garlic, mushrooms and toasted almonds. Mexican style helote con chili goes great with all the contrasting flavors, so that goes on the menu as well. The only traditional item on the menu is cranberry sauce. That only leaves bread to bake and coffee to roast.
Pies, cookies, brownies, and bread pudding are in the works, but not my department. They will be on the ready though, looking like they came from a magazine when LOL finishes. All finished treats look to be presentation material; that's because all the "duds" go in a zip lock for me!
We will have a house full tomorrow, and even more Saturday, and it will be a lot of fun.
So * cheers * and bottoms up, to all of you. May your holidays be a good ones as well.
Merry Christmas!
Robert

Our Holiday dinner is a collaborative event, celebrated at the home of the other grandmorther and grandfater of my granddaughters, about 200 yards down the road. With both sides of the family there it will be a gret family feast.
Death is the proof that living is worthwhile. It is often a great loss, but it is part of life. Celebrate the rebirths that are important to you and remember the good things. This year there is only 1 greatgrandparent left for our grandchildren ...
Happy Holidays to all
--
Best regards
Han
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

To you, too!

Sounds like the food prep is a major part of your holiday celebratioin.
To you and yours, the BEST.
Lew
Merry Christmas Robert!
Back at ya and have a goood one.
tom
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:34:41 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Regards,
wrote: [snip]

Same to you and yours. Enjoy, and stay safe.
r 'n a
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

... snip

And Merry Christmas to you and yours, as well as to the rest of those on rec.ww

Likewise, one and all. All the best for 2009.
Dave in Houston
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:34:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yes I can. A nice Southern salt-cured ham. Beats sugar cured any day according to my taste buds :-).
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:53:25 -0800, Larry Blanchard cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

You hadda go and do that didn't you Larry? You do realize that nothing we have today will be quite satisfying now, don't you?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:20:55 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

Sorry 'bout that :-).
But to add a little levity to your Xmas, here's the story of my Xmas dinner.
About 11 years ago I had a heart attack (OK Doc, a myocardial infarction). It was a mild one, but it made me give up ciggarettes and start eating rabbit food. After a few years of this, I was getting pretty tired of my healthy diet
My lovely Linda pointed out that it would be OK to splurge for Xmas, and asked me what I really, really wanted. My brain went into overload as I scanned the memory banks. I wanted grease! Lovely grease! So naturally I came up with Spam and fried potatoes (fried in the Spam grease) :-).
It has become a tradition. So while you're sitting down to a scrumptious ham or turkey dinner with all the trimmings, I'll be enjoying my Spam and fried potatoes. And I'll be just as happily stuffed as you :-).
Have a merry Xmas, happy Hanukkah, splendiferous Saturnalia, and/or snowy solstice!
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

If you want the best of both worlds (Spam and rabbit food together), go to the Spam web site and download the primavera recipe.
I sub smoked sausage for Spam.
Frozen veggies, pasta, smoked sausage and Parmesan.
Works for me.
Lew

Romano! Parmesan is for sissies.

This year my wife was tired of ham and turkey, and with just the two of us. it always leaves lots of left overs. Living on the mid east coast, I have really good access to fresh seafood. I fried fresh large juicy sea scallops with sides of mashed potatoes and peas. For lunch we had soft shell crab sandwiches, These were frozen as not in season, but were really good fixed on my new panneni (SP) grill
I had thought about baking a spam with a mustard and brown sugar glaze for me, wife won't eat spam, but I let it go :) knowing what she would say about it to me LOL CC

Angela runs a heart & stroke prevention clinic at the local hospital. If I were brave enough to smuggle a tin of Hormel's finest into the house, she'd wouldn't stop me from frying up a few slabs to the point of medium brown semi-crispy perfection...... but somehow... her 'look' would make all the flavour dissipate somehow.... naaaa.. wouldn't be worth it.
*shaking my head*
How DOES she do that?

She must love you. Wat een mazzel!
--
Best regards
Han
"CC" wrote:

Picture the following:
You are in the North Channel (Lake Huron, Ontario), on a sailboat that is safely tied off a short dinghy ride from shore.
You have spent the evening around the campfire testing LOTS of Canada's finest.
Around midnight you return to the boat hungry.
Check out a couple of lockers and find a can of Spam and a bottle of BBQ sauce.
Slices of Spam, browned in a cast iron skillet and smothered with BBQ sauce.
You had to be there to truly appreciate the moment.
Lew

It's been my experience that after spending the day on the water, anything you fix tastes wonderful Merry Christmas CC

In a similar vein, I have been known to enjoy a few of Canada's finest and then, as a late-night snack, encouraged by the herb, a slab of Maple Leaf bologna, cut from the chub, 3/4" thick, fried in a pan and affectionately known as a Newfie Steak. Just like that. No additional encoutrements required. Perhaps a quick rinse with Newfie Screech. Shit, that's more than 30 years ago...