To the group

I hope this message finds all of you getting ready for (or enjoying!) quality time with friends and family in the spirit of the holiday.

With death and illness clouding this year's celebrations, I am reminded how little time we have here with each other, and how important it is to make the most of it. So I am really "on task" this season.

I am off to fire up the smoker to get a nice ham ready for tomorrow. Can't beat a nice bone in ham shank slow smoked over oak and pecan, finished with a clove/butter/brown sugar/bourbon sauce. Should be finished early morning, about the time the coffee is ready. Turkey... too boring.

Got taters to peel for garlic/dill mashed potatoes. Lots of things to chop up for green beans with sun dried tomatoes, caramelized garlic, mushrooms and toasted almonds. Mexican style helote con chili goes great with all the contrasting flavors, so that goes on the menu as well. The only traditional item on the menu is cranberry sauce. That only leaves bread to bake and coffee to roast.

Pies, cookies, brownies, and bread pudding are in the works, but not my department. They will be on the ready though, looking like they came from a magazine when LOL finishes. All finished treats look to be presentation material; that's because all the "duds" go in a zip lock for me!

We will have a house full tomorrow, and even more Saturday, and it will be a lot of fun.

So * cheers * and bottoms up, to all of you. May your holidays be a good ones as well.

Merry Christmas!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:22857290- snipped-for-privacy@41g2000yqf.googlegroups.com:

Our Holiday dinner is a collaborative event, celebrated at the home of the other grandmorther and grandfater of my granddaughters, about 200 yards down the road. With both sides of the family there it will be a gret family feast.

Death is the proof that living is worthwhile. It is often a great loss, but it is part of life. Celebrate the rebirths that are important to you and remember the good things. This year there is only 1 greatgrandparent left for our grandchildren ...

Happy Holidays to all

Reply to
Han

To you, too!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Sounds like the food prep is a major part of your holiday celebratioin.

To you and yours, the BEST.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Merry Christmas Robert!

Reply to
Leon

Back at ya and have a goood one.

tom

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

On Dec 24, 2:34=A0pm, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote: [snip]

Same to you and yours. Enjoy, and stay safe.

r 'n a

Reply to
Robatoy

And Merry Christmas to you and yours, as well as to the rest of those on rec.ww

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Likewise, one and all. All the best for 2009.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Yes I can. A nice Southern salt-cured ham. Beats sugar cured any day according to my taste buds :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Merry Christmas to you too, Robert!!

And to everyone else on the rec.ww Merry Chrismas!!

Reply to
Dale Miller

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:53:25 -0800, Larry Blanchard cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

You hadda go and do that didn't you Larry? You do realize that nothing we have today will be quite satisfying now, don't you?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'd rather have 'fast food' with roughed grouse being my preference.... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Back at ya, Robert.. Hope you survive all that good food and can still fit in the shop door!

Feliz Navidad

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Sorry 'bout that :-).

But to add a little levity to your Xmas, here's the story of my Xmas dinner.

About 11 years ago I had a heart attack (OK Doc, a myocardial infarction). It was a mild one, but it made me give up ciggarettes and start eating rabbit food. After a few years of this, I was getting pretty tired of my healthy diet

My lovely Linda pointed out that it would be OK to splurge for Xmas, and asked me what I really, really wanted. My brain went into overload as I scanned the memory banks. I wanted grease! Lovely grease! So naturally I came up with Spam and fried potatoes (fried in the Spam grease) :-).

It has become a tradition. So while you're sitting down to a scrumptious ham or turkey dinner with all the trimmings, I'll be enjoying my Spam and fried potatoes. And I'll be just as happily stuffed as you :-).

Have a merry Xmas, happy Hanukkah, splendiferous Saturnalia, and/or snowy solstice!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Damnit, you left out one point.......your address!!!!!

Reply to
Brent Beal

If you want the best of both worlds (Spam and rabbit food together), go to the Spam web site and download the primavera recipe.

I sub smoked sausage for Spam.

Frozen veggies, pasta, smoked sausage and Parmesan.

Works for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Romano! Parmesan is for sissies.

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Wrap the Spam in bacon, extra grease can only help. ;-) Then do the Spam and bacon with Cheeze Whiz, in bread, and grill it with extra butter, in the remaining Spam and bacon grease.

I'll see you in the next life.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Turbaconducken.