To My Friends In South Texas This Evening

Page 5 of 10
Larry Jaques wrote:

Clay soil, which is capable of heaving up to 24" in some parts of this area. Engineered design spec, based on soil test, called for minimum 12" void space under grade beams.
I routinely build what is known as a "structural slab, with void space" foundation in this area (Houston, 150 mile SE of where the pictured site was), we have a similar clastic clay herem and I usually use cardboard cartons to establish the void space ... can't do that with a 24" x 24" grade beam! :)
> You meant "urea/formaldehyde-free" didn't you?
Left that all important word out during my brain fart when trying to remember how to spiel "formaldehyde". :)

Believe it or not, Min-Wax makes a 250 VOC compliant complement to their normal stains. The client was dead set on Cherry235 in her color scheme, but the 250 VOC compliant product is not for sale here, and Min-Wax would NOT ship it to Texas ... go figure?
I called repeatedly, and systematically went up the chain of command, to no avail.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I rectum not.

Very weird! So, the client wants an all-natural house, except she wants the wood to be desoiled with oogly reddish brown shit? Did I get that right? <sigh> Figgers. Hmm, no, I guess not: http://www.minwax.com/products/wood_stains/wood_finish.html#Colors That's not a bad color after all. Most wimmenfolks think cherry is like this gawdawful sangria: http://www.minwax.com/products/wood_stains/water_based_wood_stain.html#Colors
What's your clearcoat over that crap, NC lacquer?
I just left a message on Minwhacked's site asking why that color in lo-VOC isn't available in TX and if it's available in OR. Stay tuned.
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson
Swingman wrote:

Err, I hate to admit it, but that Cherry235 is what the OverLord wanted on the murphy bed, and since she does the finishing, that's what she got. Along with a a (3) top coats of MinWhacks satin water base whatever it is.
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:27:43 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn

It's waterborne polyurinestain, of course. <sigh>
Note to Swingy: I have no idea why you had trouble. Here's the reply from Minwhacked:
"Dear Larry,
Thank you for contacting Minwax. We appreciate your inquiry.
The 250 VOC compliant version of our Wood Finish Stain is available for all stores to order if they so choose. However, if you live in a state where the laws do not make this product mandatory for sale in gallons, the stores will not likely carry it. The UPC for the Cherry 250 VOC is 027426710795.
You may ask your local stores to order the product on your behalf. The gallons will come in case quantities of 2.
I hope this information is helpful. Please reply with e-mail history if you require additional assistance.
Regards, Kim"
--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yep. BTDT. :(
Now, it would be interesting for you to try to order some and see if you actually get it.
May be because I was in a little town in Texas (Bastrop), but I simply could NOT get the product (1 gal) shipped to the Lowe's in Bastrop, Texas in July of 2009.
Believe me, I don't easily accept "no" for answer when it comes to work related issues.
Too late now, but let me know if you do manage to get some actually shipped.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Me? Order STAIN? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha! He make joke.
I might try dye some day, but unless the customer orders something matched and orders me to use stain, I don't touch that shit. My nickname it is RBS for "reddish brown shit". I was seriously angry with the last client who did that to me, forcing me to use PolyShades, the worst of two evils. (Holding up fingers in sigh of a cross) Ptui!
But she did say it was ordered in a minimum of a 2-gallon case but the folks who stock the rest of their crap. I would suggest that bLowes has their own ideas for that, so try a paint store instead. Call the local Sherwin Williams store and ask if you really want to know.
BTW, if this happened last summer, what did you finally use on the cabinets? And why do you ever use Minwhacked?
--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
Larry Jaques wrote:

Cherry235, just like the client wanted. I build'em, I don't paint'em.
Besides, I'm colorblind.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Larry Jaques wrote:

To that point:
http://tinyurl.com/yzkqzqf

"Conservation" is the preservation of natural resources in mankind's own self interest. "Environmentalism" - as usually constituted -is a form of earth worshiping pantheism.
Leon wrote:

If it _is_ a problem, "a few billion" isn't going to fix it anyway. The US share alone would be at a minimum about thirty trillion dollars if I remember the numbers I worked out a while back correctly, (and likely much more). Then there are the wars to pull the plug on all the third world emitters that refuse to clean up. And some of those third world emitters are nuclear-armed.

There's all sort of spin being put on the leaked data from the CRU. My reading is:
-- The scientists involved do not have confidence in the data, and resorted to software manipulation to make the data fit predictions.
-- The scientists involved deliberately stonewalled publication of dissenting scientific opinions, to the point of having editors of science journals removed.
-- At least one of the software engineers tasked with updating the software used for modelling climate had no faith in the integrity of the data he was using in the models.
-- "The dog ate my data." so nobody can go back and re-run the models in any event.
This is all irrelevant to whether or not the climate is changing (hint, it is).
The scandal is the incredible subversion of scientific inquiry, the peer review process and the ability to review scientific inquiry.
The whole affair stinks of "cold fusion" to me.
Every "climatologist" should resign their tenured positions immediately, as the "science" is demonstrably false. They all need to go back to school and study mathematics.

Which does not really matter, as the 'constants' in the model get tweeked to ensure the outcome matches the expectations.

Then, now, and ever shall be, change without end. And all creatures great and small contribute. Cattle more than most.

I lurk in a lot of newsgroups but I've never seen so much downright ignorance re global warming as there is in this one. Hint - it is NOTHING to do with the weather in your neck of the woods. Have at it!

Clue: I did academic climate research for three years in the late 1970s. I suspect I know more than most.

My post wasn't particularly addressed to you, I replied to the latest post in the thread, so I'm sorry if I misrepresented you.
However, to those maintaining that global warming is a myth, please read http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg1/ar4-wg1-faqs.pdf and come back with your informed rebuttals. "It's all lies" and "it's a scam" is just not good enough. BTW : almost everything that's been said about the CRU in the media is wrong. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8397265.stm
Bob Martin wrote:

The whole global warming scare is BS. It's climate change if anything due to weather cycles. And just what would the world community do if the earth decided it was time for an Ice Age? Nothing! What would these so called expert scientist paid by political activist suggest we do then? Nothing.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Rich wrote:

With all due respect to L Dosser, an xbox outperforms the fastest computer in the world in the late '70s, and the kinds of models on which the politicoclimatologists are basing their claims simply could not be run then. The question is whether their models are showing something real or showing garbage-in/garbage-out.
Bob Martin wrote:

As long as you're throwing internet/media shit on the wall, the following report, and its burying because it did not fit in with the current political agenda, is neither ... and irrefutable evidence that you are being misguided:
http://cei.org/cei_files/fm/active/0/DOC062509-004.pdf http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10274412-38.html
This is the actual report, not media supposition, and what happened to it is undeniable fact, not the result of agenda driven media "spin".
This entire issue is simply too rife with examples of same for it to be viewed as pure innocence personified, which you seem to be doing.
Regardless of which side of the fence you're on, anyone, government or otherwise, advocating basing action on computer climate modeling done with even the suspicion of tainted data is being irresponsible ... GIGO is an irrefutable, _scientific_ fact, which can't be spun to suit any agenda.
Nice try ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

See what's happening to the glaciers, the coral reefs, bird migration. The signs are all around for those who will open their eyes and their minds.

Look at glaciers at the south pole, ever growing. There are natural climate changes other wise there would be no seasons. Just because we only recognize 4 seasons per year does not mean that there will be "slight" deviations over periods of decades. The friggin sky is not falling.

There ain't none so blind as those that don't want to see!