To Dispose of this Table Saw or Not, or how to dispose of it.

Page 1 of 2
Looking for a bit of advice from the group.
Received grandpa's old Craftsman contractor's style table saw from dad recently. I asked him how old it was and he said "I got it from your grandfather in '68 and it was pretty old then."
Couldn't get a straight vertical cut on it from the front to the rear of a 3 inch crosscut in 3/4 inch red oak. Seems like the blade wobbles. Read a bunch of stuff on how to tune it up, but closer inspection found more problems. In checking the cast iron table top, it appears to have a downward deflection (just under 1/16 inch) from the blade insert to the front of the table. A friend says I could have it milled flat again, but there's more.
Saw is model number 113.22411. Sears parts has very little available. I can get an arbor bearing if that would solve the wobbly blade problem. The only information they have on it is a blurry exploded view available online. I prefer to have a manual with my power tools. Especially if I'm going to be taking it apart.
It also seems grandpa got a little creative with a new (well different at least) motor some time ago. RPMs and cuts seem a little slow compared to dad's new cheapo tabletop saw. There's no splitter, kickback device, or blade guard. The fence is settable, but barely. The miter guage is beaten and bent. Did I mention that it's wired with a house light switch and some flexible conduit?
A remodeling contractor I met said it's a lost cause after the description I've just given. I have nothing against old tools that still function (I think I actually have some nostalgia for this saw - I've known it since I was a kid), but I think I'm kicking a dead horse.
So here's the question. (finally)
Is this saw of value to anyone? Would a tinkerer want to even bother with something like this? If I do want to get rid of it, should I just take it to the dump or is there value to any of it?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Tim.
I think you answered your own question. I have my Grandfathers old block plane that for some reason cannot be set right. I got so mad at it that I don't even think about using it..........but throw it away...............not ever!!! When I touch it, I can feel my long gone grandfathers hands on it, and almost smell his pipe.....course it takes up a lot less room than a TS.
Dave

tinytim wrote:

Ebay.
Take the bearing out and go to a bearing place they will match it up for a few dollars, bearings are not expensive, get a sanding disk plate and turn it into a sander,
Good Luck, George

What a great idea!

I've got an old classic Craftsman 9" that I use for crosscuts etc. Can't rip much. I would love to have another cast iron wing so I can cut plywood easily. BTW, if it has a dual pulley wheel, they are hard to find (reasonable price) for the Craftsman.
Wel, if you can't turn it into an end table, I'd find someone who wants a "top notch, antique, killer table saw cheap". There are a LOT of them on this newsgroup that : 1: Think Craftsman sets the standard 2) Are convinced that a Unisaw or Powermatic 66 is overpriced at $700 3) Think " a saw is a saw is a saw is a saw is a ---" 4) Looking for REAL bargin.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 06:12:25 GMT, tinytim

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:57:10 -0600, Lawrence A. Ramsey

Dear Larry:
If you would please provide more information on where I could purchase either of those saws at that price, I'd be most appreciative.
JP

Well, first off, my name is NOT Larry. You came up with that on you own.

Oops! Jeez, I hope I haven't offended you so much that you now won't share your source for $700 Unisaws/PM66s!
JP ************************************************************************** $500 closer to a table saw : ) ....just sold my .270 Medallion : (
Only $200 to go!

Yep, ya blew it! I was trying to make a point and I lost track of the original post. I DO know some people who are so cheap as to hurt themselves trying to be "conservative". Sometimes I have let a good deal go because of $5 yet I would go eat a $10 meal out. A matter of priorities. I did happen to buy my Unisaw for $600 w/o fence. It was like new and the first comment my boss made was "why didn't you get them to give you a fence too?". I was just happy to get the saw for that price. He has let so many good deals go by him because of thinking something similar to that.

I think there was some sarcasm in his statement for $700 Unisaws/PM66s.
Shawn
Jay Pique wrote:

Nah just thinking of what they would be worth with out the nameplate on them.

Then let's aim the sarcasm at the buyers at that price. 6 o' one, half dozen of the other.
I would have told the OP to put it all the nostalgic crap on Ebay with the saur at $50 and watch it skyrocket up to several hundred...for an 8-incher!
Speaking of strange things: I was in the post office yesterday and there was an interesting farmer's wife at the counter collecting lots and lots of stamps. Before her were several beanie babies. I don't know what she had sold, but she was cashing in a $4,000 postal money order for stamps. She left with a THICK portfolio of every imaginable denomination and imprinting, down to a single 3-cent stamp. The dozen people behind me and 2 in front of me watched this while a little pink haired lady got a post box and a young couple resealed their box 3 times and THEN did the paperwork and customs forms, etc.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:40:56 -0600, "Sweet Sawdust"

-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ---------- http://diversify.com Poly-free Website Development
$4K worth of stamps?!? Good lord, is she gonna use them for expensive wallpaper?
I think the PO limits money orders to $750 or $1000 each, so she may have had more than one of those too?
John
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:39:26 -0600, John Thompson

I believe I overheard her say something about pen pals so she's probably got a lot of Ebay sales to stamp.

It's possible. I didn't see the document.
THIS JUST IN!
Are you connected to a wireless router? Are you stealing Internet access from your neighbor? Do you travel on motorcycles a lot and live near Seattle? Want to triple your WiFi speed?
Then this is for you: http://www.j-walk.com/other/wifispray /
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
Want to triple your WiFi speed?

I don't know about this stuff. I sprayed my WiFe with it and she broke my nose. Sniffle.     j4
Larry Jaques wrote: > Want to triple your WiFi speed?

--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Lawrence A. Ramsey wrote:

A standard is nothing more than a point to be measured from.

$700?? You forgot tax and shipping. AND a saw isn't much good without a fence.
A saw is a saw? In a way, yes. It is. An old carpenter told me if your heads up your ass the best tools won't pull it out. From what I've seen, I think that's true.
And what's wrong with maximizing your money?
4 questionable and debatable points in one post.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Can you use it for a router table top??? I have seen some nice setup using old TS's for that purpose