TiteBond Responce from Headquarters

Uh huh Yep.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly. I had mentioned that may be the case in one of the first hundred posts.. :~)

Reply to
Leon

I think they must do that from time to time. I remember a few months back they tested various materials for shelf boards, and their tests somehow "demonstrated" pine to be stronger than red oak. Yeah, right.

Doug Miller

First, you blow ass all over usenet because some here chuckled at the whole "lets glue cement slabs together even though it's only for holding a farking garbage can off the dirt", and now _this?_

Dude.

Are you Bay Area Wayne?

'Cause if you're not, I'm thinking there's Rod Serling type theme music being whistled through the Karmic Ether betwixt Dave's place and whatever trailer park you're living in.

Michael Who thinks it's a good thing the people who say "90 Proof" on the front of the bottle don't tell you on the back that it's only 40 proof after the first drink.

Reply to
Michael Baglio

When I was in college I had a buddy who knocked down trees AND submerged his Chevy. (Or was that an International.) It didn't look too good, but did go where he wanted to go. Usually...umm...sometimes...well, he'd ask me for a lift to class occasionally...Maybe some glue woulda helped...

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

When I was in college I had a buddy who knocked down trees AND submerged his Chevy. (Or was that an International?) It didn't look too good, but did go where he wanted to go. Usually...umm...sometimes...well, he'd ask me for a lift to class occasionally...Maybe some glue woulda helped...

Dan

Reply to
Dan Cullimore

Thu, Jul 15, 2004, 5:32am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@address.invaIid puts out his words:

I'm quite sure everyone here has the proper awe your scatological command of the English language deserves.

However, instead of continually repeating yourself, why don't you post links to some of your woodworking projects instead? I, for one, don't recall seeing any examples.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

Then direct this at the morons ruining this group you twit. This group is a circle jerk of idiots. You've driven off most of the knowledgable woodworkers and newbies stick around only long enough to find out that most of you are powertripping jerks.

Look at the threads. The TiteBond thread for instance. You clueless idiots spend all your time blowing EACH other. It's hilarious.

Reply to
WayneKelly

Is that from the appropriate ANSI standard?

Seriously, the designations of Waterproof and Water-Resistant come from specific standards which do not call for the ability to hold under continuous immersion. My quick search doesn't reveal a standard for a truly waterproof glue or a term for such. Maybe the ANSI people decided that there wasn't really any such thing and didn't create a standard for it.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

This whole debate does beg another question - now that I've gotten my copy of the review read - just how strong does glue need to be for holding stuff together? What is the force in terms of a 3/4" edge glued table top that hangs over 8" when you put a stack of textbooks on it? The PSI figures make for great comparisons, but I would like to know how to relate that to the real world.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Exactly,

Or...... :~) for instance how many times could your 350 lb sister in law use the edge of the table as a place to lean on after you have boiled the table top 2 times.

Reply to
Leon

That's exactly what I did, Wayne.

Time to update the TrollFilter again...

Doug Miller

elmer's white glue is plenty strong- and it has more open time than any of the yellow glues, for those situations where you have a complex assembly that won't see wet service.

Reply to
bridger

Remember that the ANSI standard in question was prepared in conjunction with another organization that specialized in standardization of plywood.

For truly waterproof adhesives for some purpose other than making plywood I believe you have to go to the military specifications, and don't just assume because something is mil-spec that it's good for a particular purpose--there's a mil-spec for anything that the military buys--you have to read the spec to see what it covers. Glue that is compliant with the military specification for "defense beans" wouldn't be much good as an adhesive for example.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you haven't aready done so please note that wayne munged the "invalid" domain-instead of an ell he used an uppercase eye. Bizarre.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In that case I would expect to find a standard for a fully waterproof glue, since the plywood industry makes a marine grade plywood that is intended for immersed use. Perhaps "marine grade" is the designation I'm looking for.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

You'll probably want to boil it after every time she leans on it - especially if you plan on eating off it later.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

There are several organizations that publish standards for plywood. ANSI/HPVA deals with hardwood plywood, veneers, and flooring. That is the source of the standard that was used. APA deals with plywood sheathing, flooring, etc. Marine plywood made in the US is made to an APA standard, not an ANSI/HPVA standard. There are also Federal standards for plywood purchased by the government. Most imported marine ply is made to a British standard which I understand calls for a phenol-formaldehyde adhesive.

If the ANSI/HPVA standard doesn't meet your expectations you need to take the matter up with them.

Regardless, the loading applied to the plies of a plywood during use is different from the loading applied when gluing furniture together, and so an adhesive that holds up in that use may not hold up in another.

Reply to
J. Clarke

EEeeuuwww... I had not taken that image that far yet... Thanks. ;~)

Reply to