Titebond III, it really is superior

There was so much excitement on this newsgroup about TB III that I bought some today. It truly has improved things.
Since I bought the glue, the weather that was supposed to be rainy and 65 turned out to be sunny and 74. I bought gas for 3 a gallon less than last fill-up. We decided on a recipe for dinner and we had all the ingredients. I'm hoping my luck carries on later tonight ;)
Since this it going so good, tomorrow I'm going to actually open the bottle and glue some wood together. Thanks for the tips on getting this stuff.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

I just bought a pint of it a couple of days ago to glue up some panels for some outdoor furniture. Sure is a lot cheaper than Gorilla glue, and cleans up easy as well. Provided it holds like it claims, I'll be using it for my outdoor (but off the water) use.
JP

"> I just bought a pint of it a couple of days ago to glue up some panels for some outdoor furniture. Sure is a lot cheaper than >Gorilla glue, and cleans up easy as well. Provided it holds like it claims, I'll be using it for my outdoor (but off the water) use.
I use Titebond II and screws to build some 3/4" oak ply cabinet carcasses. On one, I decided after about 20 min to change it. I had glued a 3" X 3" X 3/4" 90 degree brace in the corner. I took the screws out and placed a chisel on the "join" line and gave her a few taps..then WHACKS !! No luck. Finally I just would up with the BIG hammer and WHAM ! hit the brace and out it came.. Except instead of separating the brace from the ply..it actually split the laminations of the plywood apart instead of letting go at the joint. Now THATS holding power !

Which is why, for some of use less decisive folks, or folks who sometimes glue parts together in ways the plans didn't intend, Franklin sells a product called Titebond Extend. Longer open time, etc. Seems a lot like Original Titebond, also a favorite of mine, for indoor work.
May not be their strongest product, but they say it's still stronger than the wood.
Patriarch
I bought some recently and gave it a try. Obviously can't comment on long term results but PVA glues are pretty much proven for most jobs (I'm under the impression anyway that this is a PVA). A couple of observations I had:
1. The color blended in better for what I was gluing (ie. tan vs. yellow). Of course, the idea is to limit the amount of glue showing :) 2. For a glue with a longer open time, it really starts to skim over quicker than Titebond II. That said, I live in the inferno of the SW with no humidity so that may be part of it. 3. It does seem to clean up better but I need a few more glue-ups to be sure.
My biggest issue with Titebond II is glue creep. I seem to end up with creep on a lot of my projects even with proper drying time/temp. I didn't get that with this one glue up on TIII but we'll see.
Cheers, cc