Titebond III Does not Perform

Back during my automotive days it was very important that we used structural glass adhesive to rebond new replacement windshields and the back glass. I always wondered how a shattered windshield provided much support. It was important that a wind shield not pop out if a car rolled over as the wind shield, back glass and the adhesive that held it in place helped keep the pillars in place so that the roof hopefully would not collapse.

> Seems to me that structural bonding is the term, not structural > material.

Reply to
Leon

Well, that sounds like a good idea and I have exchanged 3 e-mails with him today. I may be just short of being considered a heckeler from his view. LOL.. I do however think it would be great if perhaps you or some one else invite them to participate or at least check in with us once in a while. The more requests from different people that they get the more credible and perhaps worth while we will appear and the more likely their participation.

If any one wants to contact Steve Craig at Titebond,

snipped-for-privacy@FranklinInternational.com

Mr. Stone has been more than prompt with his replies.

If he is not the one to participate, I am sure that he would know the person.

Reply to
Leon

OK, correction, Steve Craig is the sports announcer on one of the TV stations here in Houston. He probably would not be any help. Nor would Tom Franklin, another announcer... :~)

Try Craig Stone. ;~)

snipped-for-privacy@FranklinInternational.com

participation.

Reply to
Leon

They don't shatter much in a rollover, and the strength they provide will be during the first roll, when most of the energy is dissipated. Even in the most impressive rollovers I've seen (4 or 5 rolls) the windshield still was mostly intact... the plastic layer inside keeps it in place, and it'll still have strength in tension even if the glass is cracked.

Rear windows, yeah, they'll break into tiny granular, not-very-sharp pieces. But, the C-pillars are much stronger, I'm guessing the structural contributions of the back window are trivial compared to the windshield.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

As long as he _participates_ rather than uses it as a marketing outlet, sure. If I start seeing marketing drivel from Titebond's folks, on top of all the other stuff here lately about them, I'll switch glue brands to something else.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You are absolutely free to do that and you can even plonk them so that you do not have to see their posts.

Reply to
Leon