Titebond III coming next year (correction)

I heard that there will be a Titebond III out next year. This is a one part, water proof, glue. Has anyone else heard this?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Titebond II says it's for exterior use which sounds like it will hold if it gets rained or snowed on. By waterproof do you mean it won't be dissolved or weakened by water soaking?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

charlieb asks:

IIRC, Franklin put TII out as a waterproof glue, but quickly relabeled when they discovered it wouldn't hold up under complete immersion, which seems to be the definition of waterproof.

To me, it appears that waterproof glue must hold up under freshwater marine application below the waterline. Sensible, I guess, even if almost no one makes wooden boats with glued planks any more. Laminated plywoods?

Charlie Self

"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

That is Quite a Mis-statement, There are more wooden boats being built than you think, Pick up a copy of "Wooden Boat Mag" also by Taunten Press

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Charlie is generally speaking; most of us are not in the income bracket it takes to buy a wooden boat. And most of the rest of us don't want one. I agree with Charlie.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Titebond II is WEATHER Proof.

Reply to
Leon

Water Proof would indeed mean that it won't be weakened by water soaking. Titebond II is currently Weather Proof but not Water Proof.

Reply to
Leon

This was from a Franklin representative. The statement was that a new Titebond III that was "waterproof", not like Titebond II. The rep. said that it was a one-part, water cleanup glue.

Reply to
Jim

George M. Kazaka responds:

Unless things have changed tremendously, Wooden Boat Magazine is put out by Wooden Boat in Maine, with no relationship whatsoever to Taunton Press. My kid sister worked for them for years, and it is a wonderful outfit. The also have Wooden Boat schools, which are also superb.

That said, there is damned little misstatement in my response. There are relatively few (compared to, say, fiberglass) boats being built, and a great many use marine plywood (laminate) while any REAL need for below-the-waterline water proof wood glues is minimal.

After I thought about it a bit, I realized that damned few wooden boats were built with glued up planks, anyway. Most nailed or screwed in place, IIRC.

Oh, yeah. They're not freshwater, either. Their buildings are on property that slides right into the bay so small boats are readily launched there, after being bult there.

Charlie Self

"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself. " Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'd agree with George that you may be underestimating the number of wood boats being constructed. While there are relatively fewer big boats in wood compared to modern materials, there are _lots_ of small boats being built. Canoes, kayaks, dingies (sail or otherwise) are more likely built of wood than any other material if built non-commercially. There is at least one significant use of below-the-waterline glue - scarfing up keels and such. Long pieces of clear wood are getting harder to get and most boat makers live by epoxy - the only waterproof glue worth anything today. Paddles and oars also need waterproof glue, though some water resistant ones suffice.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I was at the Wooden Boat show in Rockland, Maine this past July. If you'd have been there you'd be convinced that wooden boats are quite prevalent.

Boden

George M. Kazaka wrote:

Reply to
EL

Do you know if this is a PVA or is it another formulation?

Boden

Jim wrote:

Reply to
EL

Jeez. I wrote that compared to other types of boats, tehre are far fewer wooden boats, and that few used glued up boards...I later wrote that few had EVER used glued up boards. It has zip to do with prevalence in one area or another. Check out the lakes of your local area where the bass boats roam and coun the number of 40K candy-glass-uglies floating around. Saw one yesterday that had the wheel covers on the trailer the same colors and patterns as the boat, and six times as large as they needed to be.

Fact remains, compared to other kinds of boats, there are far fewer wooden boats built. That fact does not have a damned thing to do with a total lack of wooden boats and their builders.

Please read the entire series, particularly the starting point, before making comments. It is far less irritating.

Charlie Self

"Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." E. B. White

Reply to
Charlie Self