Titebond III

Has Titebond III changed recently? I just started using a bottle that I bought a month or two ago. It's much lighter in color and thinner than my old bottle. It's so light in color I wondered if they'd put Elmers white glue in the wrong bottle :-).

I use tb3 because of its long open time and because it doesn't run easily. The open time may still be OK but boy is the new stuff runny.

Anyone know why/when/if it changed?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

------------------------------------------------------ SFWIW, if viscosity and pot life are of concern then epoxy is probably your answer.

Using a slow hardener, you have a 25 minute pot life at 25C (77F).

Add micro-balloons to thicken as required.

System 3 has a lot of choices.

Based on the above, I don't use TBIII.

Do use lots of TBII for normal wood working applications.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Check the date code on it, it will be the printed numbers on the bottle.

Here is what TB sent to me. You might have to mix it up with a stirrer on your drill. I had this issue with the extended time TBII. Their suggestion was to stir it, thin it down a touch, or replace it.

I would say that if the date is beyond 2 years, return it.

The first letter is A for made in America, the first digit after the A is the last digit of the year of manufacture, the third and fourth digits represent the month, the fifth and sixth digits represent the day of the month and the last four digits represent the batch number.

Example:

A104270023 ? This material was manufactured on April 27, 2011

In your case the manufacture date was January 11, 2011 which puts the bottle somewhere a little less than 3 years old. This is on the older side for Titebond II Extend especially if it has not been mixed properly over time. Has the adhesive turned an orange color? If so, it is no longer useful as an adhesive. If still a milky color, you can try the

5% water and mix vigorously.
Reply to
Leon

Just bought a new bottle of TB 111 last week and noticed the exact same thing, so its not just you.

M402140108 = Mexico? February 14, 2014

Had no problems with the glue, despite the change in consistency and shade.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks. Yes, it still works fine, but I have to be a lot more careful to not use too much. The new stuff could run a 4 minute mile :-). I think I'll email TB and see if I get a response.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Emailing TB would be the best call just to be certain. I recall the TBII Extend would pour out of the bottle if you knocked it over. Normally it eventually oozed out.

Reply to
Leon