Titebond II vs. Original

Page 1 of 2
I was thinking, is there any reason not to use Titebond II for everything, rather than having two glues in the shop?
I usually use Titebond Original, and keep some Titebond II around for outdoor work. Is there any reason not to use Original on furniture?
I do have some Extend on hand for complicated glue ups, but that's another story. <G>
Thnaks, Barry
I use Titebond II for everything, no need to have two glues. As for Extend according to Franklin by adding water to the glue you extend its open time. From what I can see that is what they did with Extend. Just use the Titebond II and add a little water when you have a complicated glueup.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

Same here. Titebond II for everything.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
you must have never set eyes on Extend, Bill. It isn't II with added water. It looks different; kinda like pancake batter. I'm waiting for a replacement gallon because my first gallon of Extend won't stick for crap. Tried it 5 times and haven't been able to keep anything together with it.
Bill Rittner wrote:

Actually I had a container of it and it was much thinner than the regular glue and I found it settled to the bottom easily. I also didn't see much difference in open time. Now I use Gorilla for longer working time.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

Cannot think of any reason to have both. Have about 1/2 gal of Titebond II in the shop, along with epoxy and urethane glue, will likely go to TiteBond III when I use up the TII
John
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:56:30 GMT, B a r r y

so how is II working for you for outdoor projects? I thought it's merely water resistant; NOT waterproof. Titebond III is supposed to be waterPROOF.
dave
B a r r y wrote:

I had been using II, but I went back to Original because it is a lot easier to wipe the glue excess from the wood surface with a damp cloth or sponge and not have as much problem with glue showing up in the stain or finish. II is much less forgiving.

NClapp wrote:

Me too, FWIW. I don't really need water resistance anyway, and I use Original pretty exclusively. It's easier to work with IMHO, and a bit cheaper to boot.

Same here. Plus, I'm kind-of a slob, and spent too many years wiping the excess glue off on my shirt or jeans. With II, it never comes out.
tt
Test Tickle wrote:

Glad someone else admitted that first. :)
Admitted it? Hell, I thought it wasn't mentioned because we all are.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
Luigi Zanasi writes:

My wife thinks I am crazy for tan canvas seat covers on our furniture. Last time around, we got a dark green kind of velvety crap that even shows black dog hair. I don't mind it showing dog hair. It's the sawdust, sanding dust and glue that I prefer she not see.
Charlie Self In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."
On 01 Mar 2004 23:47:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

We usually have between 3-5 cats (push sticks) at any given time. My wife bought Ethan Allen chairs that are WHITE with gold embroidered stars. Beautiful chairs, and the cats love hairing them up!
Barry
Barry writes:

Maybe 5 years ago, my wife bought me a really great recliner, in dark green plush. After we moved to WV, it wasn't in its accustomed spot, so our cat-sized dog decided it was hers. We unfortunately let her get away with it for a long time, but I've got my chair back now and she sleeps in a box on the floor (with pillow, afghan, whatever else she needs...I mean, what the hell, you gotta treat them right).
Charlie Self In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."
Charlie Self wrote:

My dog has a glider rocker. I always know she's close at hand by the squeaks the thing makes.
On 01 Mar 2004 23:47:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

What, you didn't build in a canister vacuum into the bottom of the seat? Just drop the door, pull out the hose, kick the switch, and the couch is clean in seconds.
.-. Better Living Through Denial --- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
I certainly hope not, I use II only. Never could think of any good reason to have two types around.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

to have two types around.
If you are building for interior use original is fine. If you use II for everything, remember II won't wash out of your pants, off of your shirt, etc.
--
Rumpty