Titebond II question

Got this old gallon bottle of Titebond II that has to be a couple years past prime. Open the top and it has the consistency of peanut butter. I wonder if it's worth using. How about trying to drain the top layer off, will the bottom half be better

Reply to
harley

Got this old gallon bottle of Titebond II that has to be a couple years past prime. Open the top and it has the consistency of peanut butter. I wonder if it's worth using. How about trying to drain the top layer off, will the bottom half be better

Reply to
harley

Had the same thing. Called the people at Titebond. They told me what to do with it to use it. Can't remember what I did but ended up using it. Call them.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Why ruin your project with glue of questionable quality? Unless all your hard work & effort are not worth the small expense of a bottle of glue.

JJS

harley wrote:

Reply to
No-One

Toss it. Stuff's only six-seven bucks a pint. Not worth screwing up a project using possibly hundreds of dollars worth of wood and who knows how many hours of your time, to try to save seven bucks.

And buy smaller bottles in the future. :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

There was an article on glue in one of the popular woodworking magazines a year or so ago. They said to learn the date codes, only buy glue with the freshest date, and to pitch it when it expires. As another poster said, why ruin your hard work with ten dollars worth of old glue?

Reply to
bob

Some time ago, I had read that a joint made with Titebond was stronger than the wood itself.

Since then, logic has dictated that I always make the entire piece of furniture out of pure, hardened glue rather than second-rate, weak "wood"

Perhaps you could make a 2x4 out of it and try this out yourself.

harley wrote:

Reply to
root