Titebond II Extended really works as advertised!

I picked up some TBII extended recently. I face glued a 1" piece of oak to another piece, clamped it for a couple minutes and then unclamped and slid the pieces around very easily to see how the open time compared with the standard TBII. I couldn't have done that with the regular stuff which dries too fast for me much of the time. I put a bit more glue on the pieces and re-clamped for about 3 to four hours. Then I unclamped and tried to break the bond. I couldn't. The next morning I picked up the glue-up and it practically fell apart in my hands! Not good! I figured I did something wrong, as the glue should be preemo stuff. Called tech support and they explained that by my having attempted to break the bond in 3 hours, I messed it up, even though it didn't budge at the time.
I tried another experiment. Fir end grain glue-up to fir straight grain. Dilute glue 50% with water and size the end grain. 15 minutes later, apply full strength glue to both pieces and clamp for at least 2 - 3 hours. 12 hours later I can't break that joint even by beating the hell out of it. Franklin rules! and I love the open time. :)
dave
I glued up a Mahogany coffee table top using TBIIE and it worked great for me as well. Table top seems as solid as ever. The secret for me is not to spread the glue on the edge, just leave it in a nice thick line that will self spread when the panel gets clamped. When I try to spread the glue evenly on the edges of boards, even TBIIE, it starts dry too fast when gluing up large panels like table tops.

Dave, Try a 'rubbed joint' technique.
Spread the glue, then put the two edges together and rub the boards back & forth a couple of times {about 1/2 to 1 inch of movement}. You'll feel the glue start to 'tack up'; then align & clamp.
An old trick I read about some time ago. I've quickly glued up a couple of transoms this way.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try on the next go around.

for
will