Titanium Coated Table Saw Blades

So, I read a review in one of the woodworking mags, they like Ti coated blads - longer life, smoother cuts. I saw 10" blades at the orange BORG (being a spacecase, I can't remember the brand - a little help, foks?), and thought the price wasn't horrible. Has anyone any experience with them? How do they compare to Freud or Forrest? PK

They're from Rigid - just made the (near-) daily trip. :) PK

I doubt they are in the same league as Forrest, but I don't have any facts to back that up - I just know how Forrest performs and lasts.
Bob

And we appreciate your honesty. ;)
titantium on woodworking tooling is mostly a gimmick. on metalworking stuff it serves a purpose, though.

I've always wondered why it seems to appear on low priced non-brand name cutting things. I guess because it gives that nice "fool's gold" appearance.
Bob
I use coated cutting tools daily, on things that do matter. The usefulness of this coating drops off to being insignificant on materials as soft as hardened aluminum. On wood, it would make no difference. You are right, the reason for it showing up on so many cheap cutting tools is marketing, as it looks high tech and is very cheap to apply.

Why, and which mag so that we can ignore any more rubbish they spout.
A TiN coating on a woodworking blade is pointless. Although some TiN coatings are useful, these aren't the coatings you see at the Borg. In general these days, gold coloured coating means cheap rubbish and run away from it.
There are lots of important things that make a good sawblade work better than a cheapie. TiN coating isn't one of them.

I have to disagree. With the TiN coating, the sawdust is given a positive ionic charge so when they pass through the dust collection piping it will reduce the likelihood of an explosion. It is also important to keep the coating clean; wipe it down with acetone weekly. Just don't get the acetone on your hands or you will get zits on your ass.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

LOL. You're a class guy. But the proper phrase is "positive iconic charge".     zonk,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Does that mean you will be able to see little plus signs floating in the air?

No. Icons are religious symbols. So it should be churches, Star of David, etc.
Does it make you go blind also?

Surely it's easier to just screw an earth wire to the sawblade ?
Some sawblades have little copper slugs set into their anti-vibration slots. Not many people realise these are actually soldering points for the earth wires.
wrote in

Now just how are you going to feel when that post about "Not wanting to cause an explosion, I put that earth wire on my blade and turned it on, and when I woke up..." comes in.
Hmmm?

Culling.