Tired of electrical discussions.

This is not intended to create a flame war.

I am deeply concerned about the blatant misinformation being written by a small group of wRECkers. There is nothing more dangerous than bad electrical advice. Many here have genuine questions which should only be answered by qualified people. Many answers are the right ones. A few are downright wrong and dangerous.

How does the uninitiated know the difference?

That's right... they don't.

That makes it a double-dangerous situation:

A) The person with the question doesn't have a clue otherwise the question wouldn't be asked in here. B) That person who then gets an answer doesn't have a clue on the accuracy of such a reply running the risk of burning down the house with the cat in it, or blowing off a finger, doing irreparable damage to an expensive motor, or worse, causing death.

ALL of those things are bad.

Reply to
Robatoy

Excellent Point

Reply to
RonB

But Rob's been around long enough he should certainly be aware that nothing he says, does, or posts will affect those he'd like to reform...it is, after all, usenet.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Again, Excellent Point.

Reply to
RonB

If you ask me (okay, you didn't), I'd prefer that newsgroups leave it up to the individual's own judgement on whether they should rely on information they get in the group. (And whether they should even attempt certain repairs/tasks themselves rather than hire a professional). We all have to do that in our "real" life, don't we? It could just as easily be your fishin' buddy, work colleague, or next door neighbor who tells you that you can't be electrocuted with 120VAC. In any case, we all need to use our own judgement about what advice we take, and we're all responsible for our actions.

The alternative, it would seem to me, would be something like alt.hvac where it's tough to get any advice from the group. Not very helpful to be told "call your local contractor".

Reply to
Keith Carlson

Whoa...reform?? Warn, maybe.

Reply to
Robatoy

....snip..... You mean along the line of the "Circular saw won't ground, safe?" thread that I finally broke down and put 2 cents in to try and get a bit of realism to the discussion.

I agree with you fully! My back ground does not take me into industrial areas and I will keep quiet on topics I don't have detailed and thorough knowledge.

The referenced thread with sticking fingers in light sockets and needing at least 100mA to kill was really getting me concerned. Thanks for raising this.

Ed

Reply to
Ed & Sue Beresnikow

Uh, looking it up? Search engines are great things.

Ignorance is an acute condition cured by knowledge. Stupidity is chronic, because it seeks no knowledge, nor admits its value.

Reply to
George

Enough! I find this whole discussion shocking. sorry

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Sometimes even the initiated are puzzled by the answers. :-)

Good luck with this one. Too many electrical and electronic types here...

Reply to
WillR

Try to find the capacity to resist reading this.

Reply to
Robatoy

How can you impede people from reading this?

Particularly considering the magnetic attraction to such a highly charged issue.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I was trying to induce a discussion. Never phased on me that it could end up like this.

Reply to
Robatoy

So how is it any different from any other usenet group?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Absolutely, many people want to keep up with current events.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

I'm currently trying to resist the whole thread, although it does have potential.

Reply to
B a r r y

And if you feel you can't resist, just try chanting "Ooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm"...

Reply to
wood_newbie

I pay you ohmage for your wit. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

You people need to shunt your conversation to another venue.

Reply to
Upscale

I try to insulate myself from these disputes.

Reply to
Charles Krug