Tips for painting cabinet doors (MDF)

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:40:26 GMT, B a r r y

Ain't necessarily so. See below (there are many others).
The square cornered versions cost a little more.
http://www.maplecraftusa.com/HTML/cabinet-paint.html
Regards, Tom.

Clarify that to "the ones I can make". <G>
Barry
(Rich Dell) wrote in message

Rich,
I actually did those 8 panel doors in a basement playroom I'm finishing. Its been my own personal labratory. I did 6 of those 8 panel doors using MDF for the rails and stiles. I was curious to see how it would work and the lack of warping issues was also attractive. They want together fine and I did glue the panels into the rails/stiles, but the back edge of the groove on the rails/stiles is very weak. The weakness isn't an issue after gluing the panels in, but if the rails/stile don't fit together just so, the back edge of that groove will just pop off.
I read the FWW article in between doors 6 and 7, so I did switch to poplar. Worked fine.
I actually had the doors with the MDF rails/stiles finished but not painted before reading the article, so I did go back and use the drywall compound after the fact. Because of that, I was unable to scrap the excess compound off with router bits. I just rough sanded them with drywall compound sand paper (the stuff that looks like screening) and then finish sanded with 220 grit. The thing about drywall compound is that its easy to sand.
Chuck
On 9 Aug 2004 18:52:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (WoodChuck34) wrote:

I'll bet it did. Even sanded to 220 like we do, it still looks pretty bad IMO. I'm going to suggest it to the man. We'll see....