Tip o' the day

120v Long Ranger DC remotes work just as well with HVLP turbines. ;^)
B A R R Y wrote:

And you can be three houses away, accidently push the ON button while it's in your jacket pocket, and, if you're DC is in an ALMOST soundproof room, be fortunate enough to open that door to turn on the compressor - only 6 hours later. THAT's why I don't put the shop's electric heater on one.
charlie b

That would make sense. I guess I can call my small house and basement shop desirable in that sense. No accidentally running equipment! <G>
A selectable timeout might be a nice feature on the LR. Maybe Never,15,30,60,90 minutes... I had a spa that did that. After 45 minutes, all the motors would shut down.
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Ya gotta treat it like a trigger on a loaded gun!
With the remote in a pocket of my shop apron, I have inadvertently turned on the DC from my office - about 50' away; and yesterday I accidentally turned it on at least four times when a tape measure was dropped into the same pocket and hit the button whenever I leaned/brushed against something in the shop.
And on the same note, and even though it could be dangerous if you're not real careful where you step or what you drop, I did buy a footswitch for the router in the Multi-Router ... sometimes when you need three hands a foot will do.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

At work the drill presses are equipped with foot switches resulting from some long-ago safety campaign. I was amused recently when I noticed that someone had clamped one of the switches into an unused drill press vise and shoved it behind the machine.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

My shop is in the space above my garage. Yesterday, while crawling under the cabinet saw, the car started; it takes three pushes of a button followed by holding the button for several seconds. Incredible! For Larry, if you are unhappy with the multi-router, I can take it off your hands...LOL. Dave
Swingman wrote:

A foot switch comes in handy for a lathe - as long as you remember to turn the master switch off when not in use. When you've got a tool inside a "hollow form", that foot operatied "third hand" can make the difference between AH! and AH SH*T!
Probably not good for the motor, but on my JET VS mini, I can "bump" the switch to dynamicly vary the speed when needed for critical cuts.
charlie b

You should have to hold that switch down too.. like a dead-man switch. Many years ago in shop class there was this "head banger" who was making a billy club (for his up-coming rumble) on the lathe and he fell asleep while doing it.
All everybody heard was a loud WHAM! which was the sound of his head banging :-) against the work when his long hair got immediately tangled up in it. Aside from the hair that had to be snipped, the guy was fine. Maybe there's something to that "don't tense up immediately before an accident and you'll be fine" saying.