Tip: Mark all parts before disassembly

Page 1 of 2
Just brought in my latest woodworking project. (Still smells like some of the alcohol in the shellac is evaporating.) Before taking it apart to finish it, I marked some parts and not others. As a result, some of the parts are fitting nicely and others aren't.
So when building something be sure to mark everything before you take it apart.
Puckdropper
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 6, 9:15 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

As I am finishing an entertainment center, I know what you mean. All of the drawer trim, shelf trim, and top trim is in a different finish. The last I counted, it was at 92 pieces and most are cut to fit. Not fun when you forgot to mark any of the shelf trim. I think it would be faster to just redo it.
Allen
Add pictures here
✖
RE: Subject
A box of blackboard chalk is your friend in the shop.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

I actually still use a pencil. The drawer trim I could mark on the underside with a drawer number and location and the top trim I could mark the location on the underside as well. The shelf trim is seen on three sides and I was going to mark it on the back with a shelf number and location, but my memory faded and I gathered everything up and put it away. Then I went "Doh". I spent today getting at least 2 of the 5 shelves sorted out. It took me less time to cut them all out the first time around......Oh well
Allen
Add pictures here
✖

*snip*
Blackboard chalk would seem to wash off quite easily, not good if you want to keep the marks after finishing. Incidentally, ink pen ink and permanent marker also washes off easily with certain finishes.
Good ol' pencil is a cheap & effective way to go.
Puckdropper
Add pictures here
✖
"Puckdropper" wrote:

Precisely why I use chalk.
Good for temporary marks such as witness marks for glue-ups or assemblies, marking the side of a board you do not want to plane, sand, etc.
Permanent marking is a whole different ball of wax.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

One of the things I indulged myself with, when I had a shop, was an electric pencil sharpener and a box containing a gross of #2 pencils from Office Depot. Here in the desert, my little workbench still sports an electric pencil sharpener and I have a drawer with pencils and unlined paper as well.
--
Nonny

✖
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:47:53 -0800, the infamous "Nonny"

I'm an old-school Neander with a manual pencil sharpener mounted on the wall inside the shop door.
And I learned early never to buy a gross of pencils. Erasers become calcified and petrify before the -first- dozen is used up, so I get a box every year at the back-to-school price of five cents.
-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson
Add pictures here
✖
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

-------------------------------
Erasers?
What's an ERASER?
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

The pink thing on the other end of the pencil that leaces qa dark streak on the line you are trying to remove. ;~)
Add pictures here
✖

In a shop, it's an old piece of 120grit garnet paper.
--
Nonny

✖
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:33:33 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Sorry, Lew. I forgot that there were some people out there who have never made a mistake. Please accept my sincere regrets for my fox piss.
--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
Larry Jaques" wrote:

---------------------------
For a minute there, I thought you forgot.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
Snip

I was reading a bout a better grade pencil that touted that it had genuine natural rubber for the eraser IIRC.
Is there a difference in longetivity that you know of?
I recall using a white plastic eraser while I was taking drafting classes.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

The white ones are the good ones, at least in the sense that they erase thoroughly, don't chew up the paper too much, and don't seem to rot.
Add pictures here
✖
"Leon" wrote:

Quality pencils don't have erasers, that's why electric or even manual erasers exist.
Your choice of eraser material including pink pearl, white plastic or ink.
Available from any decent drafting supply house.
Add an erasing shield and you are good to go.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:48:17 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Drafting supplies are located one aisle over from buggy whips, towards the back of the store.
Add pictures here
✖

------------------------------------------- Sounds like you live in a drafting supply house challenged area.
Have one within 5 miles of the front door.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Staples and Office Depot have some basics. The craft stores (Michael's for example) have more. Real art supply places (Dick Blick for example) have a fair selection. The blueprint places these days are iffy--many of them have gone in so heavily for supporting electronic drafting that they are neglecting board drafting, but call around. If all else fails http://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/ should have what you want and they're quite prompt.
Artists use computers for some purposes but Corel Painter is still a poor substitute for oils and canvas.
Add pictures here
✖
J. Clarke wrote:

Ever got to play with Kai Krauss's Painter? Has a selection of virtual brushes of real world painter's brushes - sable, fan, oil, watercolor, stencil even pinstriping brush which behave very much like the real thing once you get the hang of it. AND you can do things with virtual mediums which you CAN NOT do with real world mediums - like combining the characteristics of water color and oil paint. Combine the many features of this app with the fact that you can save things along the way and UNDO mistakes - and there's much to be said for working with digital mediums.
Add pictures here
✖