Tip: breaking apart pallets for project use.

I have seen a lot of posts asking about pallet wood in here and my brother gave me an excellent tip today for removing the cross members.
To take out the nails drill a hole directly into the the center of the nail head. Use a bit roughly the size you think the nail is. I just used a 2/16 bit but it will depend size on the nails in your pallet of course. This causes the head to pop off. The ones that dont are easy to remove with an old set of tile nippers. Works like a hot damn, as my dad would say. I just turned the pallet on its side and gently tapped off the cross members. To remove the remaining nail from the beams I just used a cats paw with a scrap block underneath. Had an 8' long pallet disassembled in about 45 minutes and all the wood is very useable. Poplar and oak. I am very pleased to say the least :) Hope this tip helps out some of you.
John V
JohnV said

Not only does this allow you to easily pull the wood off the nail, but it also gives you a little washer to add to your stash.
Wolf Lahti wrote:

Wow, and I thought *I* never threw anything away.
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:56:43 -0500, Silvan

When my grandfather died we found what appeared to be 17 year old venison in the bottom of his freezer. At holidays we all sit around and swap stories about him and what a character he was.
I'm smiling as I write this.... JP
How'd it taste? Wilson

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:32:45 GMT, "Wilson Lamb"
Like chicken.

brought forth from the murky depths:

Ol' Gramps or the old venison?
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.

What do people in WV say about chicken?
"Tastes like squirrel."
Reminds me of a couple stories that my dad told me about one of his aunts. Seems she never threw anything out and was a bit of a loon in any case. Aunt "John L (my dad), go down in the cellar and get a jar of the kraut. And you be careful not to shake it up; I don't want the mold mixin' in.
or ...
Aunt: "Rufe (her husband), go an butcher that cow." Rufe: "But the darn thing's sick. Look at it. I'm gonna have it put down" Aunt: "Yea, look at it. Only down in the front. Her back end is still in the air"
Note: I never ate at this great-aunt's house.

Hey John, that is a nice tip, thanks. What type of drill bit were you using? I find that mine often break in situations like that. Maybe mine are too cheap...
Regards, H.

Was a Craftsman Titanium bit. I don't consider these all that great either but did the trick.
John V

brother
nail
2/16