Tiny Bubbles.... Damn!

Decided to give my aquarium stand one last coat of Spar Urethane to give the top a nice sheen.
Wouldn't you know when it dried, there are tiny bubbles in the finish. What the hell caused this? The first four coats did not do this!
It will be under the tank anyway, so I said piss on it. (insert joke here)

After you piss on it, try wet-sanding 600 grit.
Bill.
Not to worry, with all that weight on top of four coats, it'll crack anyway.

Five. He said the first four were OK.
Bill.
Try again, guys.
He said 'SPAR' . . . if the urethane is formulated like the 'real stuff', the tank will sink in and STICK.
Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

I was thinking that. New somebody had to say it.

I think I stumbled into the knitting group. You guys sound like a bunch of old hens. :)
Finish is firm (sanded well between coats), but has a minor bubble issue. Probably put the last coat on too thick, but it might have been the new tack cloth (different brand).
You can't tell by putting your hand on it. True spar varnish is intended for boats. In particular masts. It is flexible (soft) so it won't crack and peel off when being flexed. This quality makes it quite unsuitable for surfaces that have something sitting on them. In time, the object will sink into the finish. A lot of varnishes that are marketed as spar are not these days. You can hope that you have one of those.

It was pre-destiny.
The only appropriate support for your fabulous salt-water display, featuring denizens of the Oahu/Maui/Molokai vicinity is nothing other than: "The _Don_Ho_ memorial salt-water fish-tank stand"
With that in mind, can you think of a more appropriate "finish"?

Yep, was it Don Ho who sang "Tiny Bubbles"? Slightly before my time.

He closes every show with it. hence the pun on 'finish'.
According to Google ("don ho bubbles", first link) he's _still_ at it, today. see: <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5649218/