Tinting Natural Wood Filler w/ Japan Colors

I need to fill the pores of white oak blue for a customers project. Is it possible to mix japan colors or some other dry color into this "soupy" pore filler? Should I use water based or petroleum based? These will be topcoated with a water base clear finish call Ceramithane made by Graham Paint Products.
Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
I have used a WB filler from Fuhr Products mixed with a variety of water or alcohol based dyes and stains with good effect. I have not tried Japan Colours though. If you ask your question in the forum below I am sure you will get your answer. Cheers, JG
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/phpBB2/portal.php
" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote:

There was an article on similar techniques in FWW just a few issues ago...you might look on the Taunton site and see if you can find it. I'll try to find it and post the issue...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

oil or water base will depend on the solvent base of your pore filler. read the thinning and cleanup instructions on the can.
since you are using a water base topcoat it will simplify things to stick with water base throughout, but you can mix-n-match. sand between coats and leave extra dry time if you do.
if what you are trying to do is fill the pores with color without coloring the surface, then don't use a dye to tint the filler. use a pigment color like japan color. if you really want to make sure that the color doesn't stain the top surface, give the piece a wash coat of shellac first.
if you want the pores filled blue and the whole piece stained blue, use a dye stain for the color. leave the wood bare and avoid sanding the wood too fine. 220 is probably too much- 120 is likely to be about right. test on scrap. fill, stain, then finish, doing your fine sanding between coats of the finish.