Tin snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal.

that is really keen...

Reply to
jo4hn

No, I'm not. Puckdropper comes from when I was too young to play hockey with the guys my Dad played with, so they'd let me drop the puck after a goal was scored.

I do usually have something to say about offsides, though. It's a habit from playing pick up hockey.

Puckdropper

-- FYI, my Usenet access is going to be inconsistent the next several days or weeks. My ISP decided to switch their services to Google, which doesn't offer NNTP access. I'm looking for a good alternative now.

Reply to
Puckdropper

All this time, I thought you were a zebra!

Reply to
B A R R Y

In the real old days, I heard they had to actually place the puck on the ice for face-offs. Probably discouraged quite a few potential zebras.

Oh god, you must really confuse the non-hockey folks with that. For what's seemingly a simple rule, there's an awful lot of confusion when I try to explain it.

My old high-school team has a state tourney game tomorrow. I'll probably go and root them on with a few of the alums, and talk about how much better *we* used to play!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

It'd sure have discouraged me. Dropping the puck, I had quite a bit of my equipment hit one way or another. (I did wear full equipment.)

It's a really complex rule, actually. You can't cross the blue line before the puck. What counts as "in the zone"? What happens if you do this or that while offsides? Or here's a good one... Let's say you're in the offensive zone, offsides. Your team then ices the puck and you touch it. Is it icing or offsides?

After it happened, the Zebra said icing overrules offsides.

*snip*

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Hmmm...yeah, maybe you're right. In fact, you're definitely right. Tagging up, delayed offsides, offsides (or 2 line) pass and the different variations of all of them. In fact, I'm not even sure what rules are used in what leagues any more!

So the player was behind the goal line and recieved a "pass"? Talk about cherry picking. NHL? NCAA? Men's League? That's a toughy.

It's "Mite Fest" this weekend in addition to states, so I'll check out the rules for NYS High School and Youth Hockey. My nephew drives me nuts, he sort of roams around with one hand on his stick, hardly backchecking, hardly hustling until he somehow gets the puck and then he turns it on. Unfortunately, he's the leading scorer. For now. I think it's going to be really tough for him when the other kids catch up and he can no longer just skate around them. I don't know how parents do it - if I had kids I'd probably have a heart attack!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Surgeons _have_ been known to use back saws to cut backs.

OTOH, I've got an offset screwdriver, but could never find an offset that needed screwing -- if I _were_ so inclined that is.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

A first-class option -- especially for their spam-filtering -- is 'supernews'. Giganews, and Easynews are the other 'big boys' in the news provider biz.

'newsguy.com' is a smaller operation, but nearly as good as supernews.

Astraweb is pretty good, and offers _inexpensive_ FIXED PRICE service -- access by the gigabyte of data, regardless of how long it takes to use up. For text- only access, a minimal ($25, I think) account will last for _years_ -- probably decades. :)

news.individual.net offers text-only groups for an annual pittance of under US$20. Astraweb is a better deal, unless you're a really heavy user.

Terranews can be erratic quality -- *especially* their near-free service. usenetserver.com is facing a major lawsuit, and long-term is 'iffy'.

_meganewsservers.com_ is one to *definitely* stay away from. "1/4-assed" is a charitable description. One minor example -- *NO* week-end staff whatsoever. If, at say 7PM Friday Evening, the server crashes (totally dead-in-the-water), there's nobody to even look at it untill something like 8:30AM monday morning.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Using that form of thought... what about a broad axe?

Reply to
Robatoy

to snip tin...

Or a jack plane or a plumb Bob

Reply to
Robert Haar

channel locks??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Or a box wrench?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Monkey wrench?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Peanut oil, olive oil, baby oil...

Reply to
Nova

ya know, I always wondered how many baby's they need to get a quart of baby oil..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Funny you mention this, we were watching one of those educational channels where they were showing brain surgery and the surgeon used a 9.6v Makita cordless drill to make a hole in the skull. I recognized it since it was the same one I have in my garage.

Reply to
Eugene

Leonard Lee, Robin's father and founder of Lee Valley Tools, has been very active in design and re-design of surgical/medical tools. Want an unobtanium doohicky driver? Lee's your man.

But I tell ya, before any surgeon cuts me, I want to see Olfa and Festool.

Reply to
Robatoy

snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

*snip*

I went with Astraweb. 90 GB for $25, that'll keep me going for a long, long time.

Thanks for the information.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Jay Pique wrote in news:4f427091-9305-45a6-9ad0- snipped-for-privacy@o77g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Men's League, but we follow pretty standard rules. The player was in the offensive zone, slow to clear the zone and his teammates iced the puck from the defensive zone.

What age is mites? They had a tournament going on with some rather young kids (elementary school age) at the rink today. Some of it was good hockey, and some was everyone's in the corner chasing the puck. (I only watched about 5 minutes.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Don't Try This At Home!

(Professional Surgeon in a closed operating room.)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser