Time to split the group?

Page 3 of 3
On Mar 27, 1:28pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

You are kidding, right?
Many times I have suggested that the screaming pundits that nest here take it to
alt.politics
which should be their cup of tea. That newsgroup has been around forever, and is so radical both ways that it even scares the hell out of the spammers.
Apparently it scares the hell out of the experts here too, as they never seem to tire of expulsing their favorite news network's newest opinions here, not there.
And with the *tiniest* most minuscule bit of effort, one could type in "political forum" in the Google search bar and easily find HUNDREDS of groups (moderated and unmoderated) that cater to their own particular flavor or vitriol.
Robert

That's not quite the point I was trying to make. They don't want to discuss politics with the internet at large, they want to discuss them with the guys here, on this group. I could find no group that had split so the people on the group could have their own private political discussions. At least not following the pattern *.something.politics.
Puckdropper

On 3/28/2010 2:19 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

It's just like the TV or radio, turn the channel/volume button to whatever suits you at the time.
Simply filtered two noisy threads about a week ago (do turn the filter off and on to just to read some snide political jewels, and maybe chime in on occasion) and for the past three days, with the filter on, there have been eleven nicely populated woodworking threads to read.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On Mar 28, 1:19 am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I respectfully disagree. To me, they are like the loudest bullies making noise in the first grade classroom. Everyone knows what they are saying and doing. If they are in a quiet room (like a woodworking newsgroup), they will really stand out when they start their hijinks.
But if you put them in a classroom or a playground of like minded loudmouths they simply disappear in the ambient noise. Nope, this is their stage.

Here again, a less than .5 second search of "starting a newsgroup" yielded pages of instruction. Moreover, the search didn't even tap making a private Yahoo group or a Google group.
No sale on a lack of venue. Most of these folks aren't idiots. ANYTIME, and I do mean anytime, 24/7 every day of the year, if they wanted to take it private and argue amongst themselves, they could have their group set up in minutes. They are here because they want to be, not because they have to be.
How else could their internet friends appreciate the depth of their huge political acumen, or their keen insight into the "real" truth that only a few can understand without their personal help? Their opinions are of such weight and importance they have to stand out. Arguing amongst themselves in a 15 man group would simple devolve into petty bickering in just a few posts and the group would lose interest in itself.
These guys need an audience.
This is a public newsgroup, so it their right to post as they wish. Their lack of respect of the group intent and charter is their business. They are here because they want to be.
Robert.

Yes, you can start a newsgroup. Anybody can start one in the alt heirarchy. Good luck getting USENET providers to carry it, and good luck getting people to use it. Unless they are carefully targetted, splinter groups generally get no traffic to speak of.

Or:
http://groups.google.com/groups/create?hl=en&lnk=gcphp
a few seconds and *poof* you got it.

Echoing Puck's point, he was thinking that some here may want to bandy about their beliefs with each other, and were only lacking a venue. Who would care then, if their was a larger audience for their views if they were genuinely, and only interested in discourse amongst themselves? No one would care about post counts, traffic, advertising, click ads or anything else. They could hammer on each other to their hearts delight. And it wouldn't cost them anything, and they could keep it amongst themselves.
*My* point was there would be no larger stage for their considered opinions, the showboating of their perceived smack downs, and one oneupmanship they try to practice.
My point is that for these guys it is better to be a small fish in a mud puddle than to be big fish in the ocean.
Robert

There are many venues for "bandying about beliefs". Having one more is not going to make the discussion move from here to there.

What makes you think that anybody participating in such a discussion cares about the size of the audience?

They don't care about the size of fish they are or the size of the puddle, only that someone posted a statement to which they take exception.
Political threads occur in every non-moderated newsgroup on USENET. There's nothing that can be done about it lawfully except liberal use of the killfile. Making another empty newsgroup will not cause the discussion to move there.

Perzactly.
Anyone who thinks otherwise should go visit news.groups
Dave Balderstone wrote:

There is one thing you can do besides killfile it, you can add to it:-)
--
Jack
Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.