Time to retire it?

Well I checked on my Porter Cable belt sander tonight and it appears that parts are no longer available for it. I need a new drive wheel (roller?) as the rubber is hard as a rock and that causes the belt to slip. The pad needs some work as well. I suppose I should keep it as an emergency spare. I hate to toss the thing but I can't even find out when it was made. Any ideas when the PC 136 was made? I can't even find a belt for it.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

was that the kerosene powered model or was it steam? Jock

Reply to
Jock

Can't really answer the question(s), but can commiserate as I have a couple old B&D 3x24's (mine and the one inherited from Dad) that are great old machines but parts no longer available....can't bring myself to actually throw them out, either, but can't justify cost to have the needed gears made custom.

What size belt does your PC need?

Reply to
dpb

"Jock" wrote in news:3IxNg.27820$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

Neither actually. I have an ox that pulls a pole that is connected to this big wheel mounted on the ground you see...

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

"dpb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I have no idea. The belt is ancient and I am afraid to look at it lest it become embarrassed and fall to pieces.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

lol Jock

Reply to
Jock

My suggestion: Declare a victory, mount it on the wall as a conversation piece, and go buy a nice shiny new one. Your alternatives are to buy another used one and cannabalize or have parts made for it. Another one may be impossible to find and having parts made is expen$ive. mahalo, ` jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

jo4hn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

I might just do that. I will put it on the shelf next to the 1942-43 3/8 B&D drill I have. The drill looks like it was made of some surplus tank parts. That drill reminds me of a time when men were real men and work was real work.

Here is an example of real men doing real work.

god those days are gone.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler